Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Girl Scout Cookies Reloaded

If you've ever lived in the Southeast, you know that not only do Girl Scout Cookies go by different names there, they also don't taste as good. They are markedly different in color and consistency, too. My family even conducted an informal taste test to prove it.

So a few years ago, I got to the bottom of this seeming phenomenon. Let me explain:

Two companies make Girl Scout Cookies. One is ABC Bakers in Richmond, Virginia, and one is Little Brownie Bakers in Louisville, Kentucky. Only three types of cookies are mandatory: Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Sandwiches/Do-si-dos, and Shortbread/Trefoils. Other than those, I think each company is pretty much able to make what they want.

And it shows.

But, you ask, why is Sara bringing this up now?

BECAUSE TEXAS GETS COOKIES FROM ABC BAKERS!

I was feeling like a major dork today due to some social awkwardness. Thankfully, I had to go to my apartment leasing office to pick up a package, and there, on one of the front desks was a box of Girl Scout Cookies. I immediately looked at the company that produced the box and with profound excitement, saw that it was my Girl Scout Cookie baker of choice. Hallelujah! Let the heavens rejoice! Maybe Texas has some redeeming qualities after all . . .


Thing I'm thankful for: cold weather and sweaters

7 Comments:

Blogger Lyndel said...

and it's posts like these that remind me why i love you so much :)

Hope you're having fun exploring Texas!

11:21 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

You really are a fascinating thinker and writer, Sara! Love YOU! MOM

2:54 PM  
Blogger Emma said...

I had no idea! How fun to find your girl scout cookie baker of choice! What a great day!

3:58 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Yay! I did not know that about girl scout cookies but I now have a new quest to find out how ABC bakeries make their girl scout cookies. This made me laugh! thanks...

3:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will send you my order! When researching the bakers, it was discovered that ABC is the original bakers, too. The other bakers are supposed to make them the same, but it is evidenced that they do not! Unfortunately I live in a non-ABC baker state:(

4:56 PM  
Blogger Canned Salmon said...

Sara that is amazing. I thought that my taste buds were getting old (yeah okay a little old) since Girl Scout Cookies do not taste good like they once did to me. So not all GSC's are created equal! hmmm.

8:12 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I'm so glad to have put your mind at ease! :)

9:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home