Friday, January 14, 2011

Gone to Texas, Part Two

After being stuck in Georgia for 3 1/2 extra days because of the snow (and they were the best days ever), I left for Texas on Thursday afternoon. I cried when I said goodbye to my family, especially my nieces, but they consoled me by saying things like, "Don't worry; we'll write you lots of letters" and "You can visit for Christmas" and "You will live by grandma and grandpa, so that will be fun." It was so hard to leave. :/

But I made it safely to central Mississippi, where my friends Rose and Daniel live. They live in a tiny town with only one main street and no dependable cell phone service. The trees, however, probably make it all worth it. It was a charming little place, and I loved Rose and Daniel for letting me stay with them and feeding me chicken enchiladas for dinner and French toast for breakfast.

Friday morning around noon, I left for Houston, where I am now staying with my friend Andrea and her husband. (I had absolutely no idea that Houston is the fourth largest city in the U.S. It seems like a fun place, and I am very much looking forward to coming back.) They took me to a Tex-Mex place for fajitas and The Chocolate Bar and then gave me a tour of the city. It was an excellent evening! I was so impressed with their knowledge of the city.

Here are some of my thoughts at the end of Day Two of my journey:
  • Talking on the phone really, really helps to keep me awake on solo road trips.
  • Listening to the soundtrack to "Funny Girl" and loudly singing along really, really helps to keep me awake on solo road trips. (I sang "Don't Rain on My Parade" as I drove into Texas.)
  • Driving alone at night in unfamiliar places is spooky. I never want to do it again.
Tomorrow morning, I'll drive to San Antonio. And soon, Austin.


Thing I'm thankful for: People who care about my whereabouts

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you posted this because I was totally going to text you tonight to see if you'd made it yet. Put me on your calling list for when you get sleepy!!!

JK

10:58 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Glad you made it to TX safely (so far)... been thinking about you!

2:41 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

you are almost there!

everything will be fine.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

YEAY! i'm glad you enjoyed being trapped in georgia! you can turn any situation into something positive!

11:09 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Things I am thankful for: Cell phones to keep up with where you are on your trip. So glad you are safe. We have been praying for you. I have your place a bit organized so you can come to a home which seems like home and crash on your newly made bed in TEXAS. Can't wait til you get here. Love you so much MOM

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home