Wednesday, November 17, 2010

When We're Helping, We're Happy

Almost a week ago, I had to make perhaps the biggest decision up to this point in my life. I will blog about it later, but for now, I'll just say that it was a struggle. I weighed the pros and cons over and over and over again in my mind. I went over everything with my best friends and family, I took a poll, and I flipped a coin. The day came when I had to make a final decision. So I made it, and I promptly started crying -- maybe out of discomfort and maybe out of catharsis.

At any rate, I left work that day feeling crummy. I got into my car, and I headed to The Atlanta Community Food Bank, where I was scheduled to help organize canned food for people in the Atlanta community who don't have enough to eat. I started to cry again, and then because of heavy traffic, I had to find an alternate route to the Food Bank. I was lost and frustrated and upset, and the first few people I called for directions didn't answer their phones. Finally, I called my brother, and he helped me find where I needed to go.

I was late for my session at the Food Bank and my eyes were probably a bit puffy, but I was determined to help because I said I would. I am so glad I did. After a while of going through packaged food items, it occurred to me that I hadn't once thought about myself or my situation. I just worked alongside other volunteers and let my mind focus on the food at hand. It was a good feeling to just set aside my reality for a while and focus on the reality of others.

So what am I saying here? I'm saying that service is my comforter. It makes me happy when I don't think I can be. It helps me forget my troubles -- at least for a little while. I guess Christ knew what he was talking about when he commanded us to love one another, as he loves us (John 13:34-35). It wasn't an empty commandment. At least, it's not for me.


Thing I'm thankful for: blessings

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home