Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Let's Talk About Figure Skating!

Well, folks, I'm sorry to have to be the one to say this, but . . . men's figure skating is terrible these days. I didn't even want to watch it after a while, and I LOVE figure skating. Simply love it.

But the men's programs are bad. Apparently, there's more artistry now, but my question is, when did artistry become wrist flips, head tosses, and yes -- pelvic thrusts? In my mind, artistry in figure skating means some fancy footwork, long and graceful movements, and a nice spin. Part of the reason I loved men's skating is because the men had jumps that were just explosive. It used to be that when you watched men's figure skating, you were in for jump after jump!

And the music? And the costumes? What is with the gloves and the lace and the frills and the deep necklines? Oy.


On the other hand. There's apparently more artistry in pair skating, too, now, which I more than like. It's lovely to see the pairs actually skate together, and not just in sync with each other. I especially liked watching this Canadian couple this year.

I only hope that ladies' figure skating has changed for the better as well. We shall see . . .


Thing I'm thankful for: laughing.


6 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

If I were a figure skating dude, I'd be trying to macho that mess up as much as possible. Lace and frills don't really fit in there.

Just saying.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

I watched that video, and have to say that was one of the best routines I have ever seen, too bad she fell. Added bonus, both of their costumes were perfect in their simplicity. She was elegant in the clean lines of her dress (I loved the details on the sleeves and neck), and he was just classy in his nice casual look. They let their skating speak without any weird clothing to detract from their skill.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I know! I know! I loved everything about their program! (Well, everything but the fall . . .)

8:01 PM  
Blogger jet said...

Amen!

Yesterday my c-worker sent me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnUMOrd_ANI

Don't get me wrong, I like me some Lady Gaga, but she has no place on the ice. :(

11:27 AM  
Blogger Pumba said...

A few years ago they changed the rules and requirements for skating programs. Since then it's been all technical, no grace. But they did start ice dancing which I like more now, because it is more of what skating used to be. Why they needed to mess with something that was amazing already we'll never know.

12:49 PM  
Blogger BLOGZOOM said...

I also enjoy watching and I agree with you. The artistic part is very different, they can say it is a portrait of modern times, but I do not like.

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home