Tuesday, September 30, 2008

What My Furniture Says About Me, or Where have All the Men Gone?

Jacki wrote a post about her furniture today, so I thought I'd do the same. I was actually planning on writing about this particular piece of furniture, anyway, so now I can kill two birds with one stone . . .

This is my favorite piece of furniture and the one that I think represents me best:


It's my bookshelf, of course, and it's the dark brown version of Jacki's. I love, love, love it. (Please excuse the Swiffer box on far left, middle shelf . . .) The reason I love it is because it represents my love for learning EVERYTHING! I have reference books, science books, computer books, German books, religious books, creative fiction and non-fiction, and recipe books. All organized neatly. There are empty shelves for future growth, and everything's contained in a darkly stained wood, which is my favorite kind of stain. :)

Now, why the other title to this post? Well, it's a big shelf, and I needed help assembling it and anchoring it. Kevin helped me assemble it a long time ago, but it sat empty for a while because I didn't have it anchored to the wall. I didn't know how to anchor it, either. All I knew was that I probably needed a power drill. Every guy from church I asked, though, said he didn't have one. The guys also didn't know what kind of screws I needed to anchor it. So I had to find out on my own, screw them in myself, and wonder why I didn't know more masculine guys. In fact, after I anchored the thing, a couple of girlfriends said they had power drills. ??? (I know, I know -- I'm making stereotypical generalizations about what constitutes masculinity . . . Let's just skip the gender criticism for now.)

In all fairness, my friend Sam offered to help me last Sunday; he had just moved and finally had his power drill here in Georgia. But I told him it was too late. I had already finished the project myself. :)


Thing I'm thankful for: threaded drywall anchors. They're pretty neat!

5 Comments:

Blogger dallin+michelle said...

sara i just love you! your bookshelf story cracked me up! and you know... i'd have done it myself too! no sense waiting around any longer... and hands down books are my #ONE favorite decorative item. you displayed them beautifully. i just LOVE decorating... reminds me i need to visit you!!!!!!!!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, when you asked me i immediately said a plastic dry wall anchor. Yes, you threw me off with the bit about the metal ones. Ironically though, I did learn about dry wall anchors from my mother.

3:39 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Sara, the number one thing I admire in other women is a head for hands-on practical skills. My best friend Annelie can build anything she sets her mind to and has been doing repairs around the house since she was 8 or so. I think you're awesome for taking it in your own hands and not searching yourself silly for a masculine guy to do it for you!

2:07 AM  
Blogger M Crew said...

Sara Snow, I love that bookshelf too. Where did you get it? I'm in the market for one. :)

10:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it's great that you have so many books, and that you LOVE to learn! Thanks for letting me help you assemble the bookshelf. Maybe I should buy my own personal power drill. Would that make me more manly? ;)

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home