Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mangoes, or Fruit of the Gods


Okay, I know last year I said oranges were my favorite fruit. I was wrong. Mangoes definitely are. Up to last summer, I had only ever had dried and sweetened mangoes from a bag. I always thought those were yummy, but I didn't realize the full joy that is mango-eating.

Thanks to Jenna, one of my siblings-in-law, my tune has changed. I had a small dinner party last summer, and Jenna came early to help. She brought a mango, and while she was cutting it, told me about how much she loves mangoes and how often she ate them when she first lived in Hawaii. So I tried my first fresh mango ever. The flavor burst in my mouth was unforgettable. I had to have more! I think Jenna was excited that I was excited, and so although she was planning to share the mango with everyone in our small party, we ended up eating the whole thing ourselves!

And now I'm hooked. I like to just stand at my kitchen counter, eating very ripe mangoes. I like them to be so ripe that the juice gets all over my hands. I think it's the only food I like to get messy with, and interestingly enough, it's the only fruit I like at room temperature (Besides bananas, of course. I don't eat those much, anyway.).

My roommate even notices that I eat an unusual amount of mangoes. When I bought my first mango of the season, she said, "Mangoes again, huh?" Yes! Mangoes again! What can I say? I'm overjoyed that they're in season now, and I'm not going to let another 26 years go by without getting my fill.

Thanks, Jenna, for introducing me to a little bit of heaven!


Thing I'm thankful for: the fun, new siblings I get when my biological siblings get hitched!

4 Comments:

Blogger Jacki said...

Um I REALLY want a mango now! This post is so descriptive that I MUST HAVE ONE NOW!!!

And I am thankful for the new siblings I got when I got hitched!!!

2:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I remember showing up to that party and you girls already having eaten the mango. It must have been a REALLY GOOD one. I like mango's too! That picture of a mango looks really nice, and I must agree with Jacki, after reading your post and seeing that picture, I WANT SOME MANGO NOW!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

I too had only had the dried variety until my mission. In Brazil I ate so many mangoes. Oh how I miss fresh made mango juice. I would see kids smush up the flesh still in the skin and suck out the fruit from a hole pit on the end of the mango oposite the stem.I even learned to eat green mangoes with salt, its a different taste, but enjoyable. I also learned when biting open a mango to be careful of the flesh (later I would learn it has chemicals like poison sumac). My favorite mango experience was the day my companion and I used split poles of bambo to grab hold of the long stem and twist. We could pick the mangoes from the tree and they would not fall and get bruised.

BTW, I have enjoyed your Blog.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that's what i'm talking about. if only you could try the golden queen variety. they are about 4 times the size of an apple mango (pictured above) and rock your face off. we used to cube 'em up and throw 'em in the freezer for a sweet action smoothie any day of the week. we would also use the peels instead of bath cloths fill the tub with the juice for a nice bath. however, i don't care for chilled fruit nearly as much as room temperature, freak.

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home