Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Get Smarter and Stop Hunger at the Same Time

How do you accomplish both of these things simultaneously? Visit FreeRice.com. I read about it today in Mark Hurst's Good Experience newsletter (I read about a lot of good usability things this way, and I think you should, too. Sign up!).

It works like this: You visit the site and take a vocabulary quiz. For every word you answer correctly, you earn 10 grains of rice that will eventually be given to the world's hungry people. It operates through sponsors who advertise on the site. They pay for the grains you earn -- they get cheap publicity, you strengthen your vocabulary, and someone who suffers from perpetual hunger gets to eat. It's that simple!

Neat, huh? I mean, it really is fascinating. People can do such incredible things when they use their minds for good. Read about how it all got started.


Thing I'm thankful for: temples.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brigham said...

I've been visiting that site for the past week or so, I can't get past level 43, but here's the thing...vocabulary, world hunger...what's the connection? I read that article and I still don't get it.

9:41 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I helped with approximately 1 cup of rice. Apparently 1,000 grains is equivalent to 1 cup.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home