Thursday, August 03, 2006

Drama Killed the Comedy Star

Lauren was watching a trailer for a new movie due out this fall. She saw it on Brigham's blog, and while I was just gonna leave the advertising to him, I decided I should say something about the movie myself. The movie is "Stranger Than Fiction," starring Emma Thompson and Will Ferrell. Now, I obviously haven't seen the movie yet, but I think it looks very much like a drama. It still has funny lines and comedic moments, but it makes me wonder whether Will Ferrell is going through his metamorphosis -- and I'm talking about the one that almost all very well-known comedians go through. Let's look at his predecessors:

Robin Williams -- "Laugh-In," "Mork and Mindy," "Popeye," "Good Morning," "Vietnam," "Dead Poets Society." Yes, he had comedies, like "Aladdin," along the way, but more and more his movies have become very serious -- "Jakob the Liar," "One Hour Photo."

Tom Hanks -- "Bosom Buddies," "Splash," "The Money Pit," "Turner and Hooch," "Joe Versus the Volcano," "A League of Their Own," "Philadelphia," "Forrest Gump," "Apollo 13," "The DaVinci Code."

Jim Carrey -- "In Living Color," "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective," "The Mask," "Dumb and Dumber," "Liar Liar," "The Truman Show," "Man on the Moon," "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind."

Adam Sandler -- "Billy Madison," "Happy Gilmore," "The Wedding Singer," "Big Daddy," "Punch-Drunk Love," "Spanglish."

Yes, I'm leaving out a lot of movies, but I just don't have room to list them all. The point is, is that the early movies of all these actors are much different than even the funny later ones. Maybe it's just that comedy has changed and what was once funny to the world isn't as funny anymore.

But I just wonder if it's a certain feeling comedic actors get at a certain time. Like, is Will Ferrell saying, "I think it's time for me to accept a semi-serious role"? Do comedians have to "prove" themselves before producers will give them a shot at drama? Do they start getting an itch for an academy award? (If so, they're doing the right thing. The "Academy" never gives accolade to comedies the way they ought to.)

What do you think, readers?

Thing I'm thankful for: my big, soft bed. I love you, bed!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think i *love* Emma Thompson, but hate Will Ferrell.

Also i only like Jim Carrey's more serious films (loved "The Truman Show" and "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind") and i thought Robin Williams was great in "Insomnia."

I think there is a sense of boredom and exhaustion that creeps into any artist's life when they have been working at one form for too long. They want to try something new and different, if only to cleanse the palate. Like T.S. Eliot. Or Michael Jordan. ;)

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also, the only Adam Sandler film i ever really enjoyed was "The Wedding Singer." It's actually one of my favorites. I can watch it again and again and again!

11:01 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Why didn't you put Robin William's movies in quotes? Also, you didn't put Bill Murray on there. "Stripes" to "Lost In Translation."

12:28 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Okay. I fixed the quotation marks. (I really don't know what happened there; I guess I'm just like the rest of you sometimes . . .)

Also, I don't know why I didn't put Bill Murray on here because I was planning to. It's kinda late now, though. I think maybe Steve Martin could even be included in this set. And Mike Meyers. And Will Smith?

11:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home