Wednesday, June 29, 2005

My Favorite Movies

I think about this a lot, so I decided to put my list down in one place. I don't even want to try to prioritize the list, so it's in no particular order.

"Casablanca" -- How can we go wrong with a movie that has lines like, "Round up the usual suspects," "Of all the gin joints in all the world, she had to walk into mine," and "The problems of 3 people don't amount to a hill of beans in this world . . . If you don't go, you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life. Remember; we'll always have Paris." (Or something like that.)
"The Sound of Music" -- Is there a better musical score out there? I think not.
"Funny Girl" -- This definitely does NOT beat "The Sound of Music," but who can deny that the songs in here are brilliant? My favorite scene used to be the roller skating act (what with the grapes on the shoulder and everything), but now it's the "You Are Woman, I Am Man" part (hmmm . . . I think I'm maturing).
"Mansfield Park" -- Lovely.
"Chocolat" -- Uh, the fact that this movie has a lot to do with chocolate is glorious. What better theme for a movie? I don't know if there is one. Plus, there is this really handsome devil playing Juliet Binoche's love interest. For a picture, click here.
"Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" -- I'm still stuck on chocolate. Need I say more than "opening credits?" Plus, Gene Wilder is the best!
"About A Boy" -- Again, lovely. It's a wonderfully clean and non-offensive show. The music for this one is nice, too.
"In Good Company" -- from one of the directors of "About A Boy." Although I don't know whether the relationship between Carter and Alex (Was that her name?) had to be sexual, I liked that the emphasis was not on them. More movies need to be about relationships in general, rather than relationships between men and women. This is what I like about the Weitz brothers.
"Finding Nemo" -- Hey, what is an animation doing in here? But if there is one, it should be this. I loved it. One of my favorite lines is spoken by a Boston lobster: "It's wicked dahk." And I forgot the father sea turtle: "You got some serious thrill issues, dude."
"Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure" -- I think it's easy to see how I made this transition. I know it's a crazy choice, but this movie was great. We all know that everybody loves it.
"It's A Wonderful Life" -- Best feel-good movie ever. Period.
"In America" -- Another feel-good movie
"So I Married an Axe Murderer" -- Mike Meyers' best. Ah, I love movies from the early 90's.
"Groundhog's Day" -- Bill Murray's best.
"The Royal Tenenbaums" -- The walls in the house are pink! This alone makes the movie worth it. Seriously, though, the movie is a refreshing change from big blockbuster movies.
"The Shawshank Redemption" -- This is one of those movies I HAVE to watch every time it comes on TNT. The moment the pebble rips through the Raquel Welch poster tickles me every time.
"Working Girl" -- Another movie I have to watch when it comes on TV. I love 80's movies. They're all about making it big and climbing to the top. Rags to riches.
"The Labyrinth" -- This goes along with movies like "The Goonies" and "Lucas." Kind of weird movies, but if you grow up on them, you learn to love them. Plus, David Bowie is the Goblin King. I ALWAYS wanted Sarah to stay with him.
Most John Hughes movies -- He is master in teen flicks. I'll list them: "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Pretty In Pink," "Some Kind of Wonderful," and "The Breakfast Club." He also directed "Christmas Vacation" and "Home Alone" -- both very good movies. I didn't, however, like one of his latest: "Maid In Manhattan." Yuck.
"Jane Eyre" -- This has to be the Orson Welles version; it's really the only way to go. It's so . . . romantic. :)
"Emma" -- Charming and funny. Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors.
"You've Got Mail" -- My favorite Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movie; although "Joe vs. the Volcano" was pretty good too.
"Legally Blonde" -- I don't care who you are; you like this movie. Who wouldn't?
"Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" -- It's my favorite Indiana Jones movie. I can't wait for the next one!
"Return of the Jedi" -- I like the original version best. Lucas cut out the great song in the last scene. What was he thinking?!?
"Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" -- The complete wonder felt when watching this movie for the first time cannot be matched. It was wonder-full!
"Pirates of the Carribean" -- Ummm . . . I'll admit it; Johnny Depp made this movie.
"The Talented Mr. Ripley" -- This was so weird and new and interesting; I loved it.

Well, I think I've taken up enough space for listing good movies. Obviously there are many more, but I'm tired of making up a seemingly never-ending list. Comment on your favorite movie(s), K?

6 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

My favorite movies (in no particular order):
-- When I was a kid --
1. "The Ewok Adventure": Remember those fuzzy little guys?
2. "Robin Hood": the animated Disney version. (I always did kind of have issues with "The Man".) :)
3. "The Little Mermaid": I had the soundtrack on tape and listened to it until it dragged.
4. "The Journey of Natty Gann": She was independent at, like, 12!
-----------------------------------
1. "Tommy Boy": "What'd you DO?"
2. "So I Married an Ax Murderer...": I'll second this one. Classic Mike Myers.
3. "About a Boy": Although the book is SO much better and thought-provoking.
4. "Roman Holiday": Audrey Hepburn's first film
5. "The Matrix": C'mon, the first one was mind-blowing.
6. "Rebel Without a Cause": Okay, it might seem a little cliche, but I feel miserable when I'm supposed to and happy when I'm supposed to. It's all in James Dean's eyes. I could go on.
7. "Meet Joe Black": This movie begins the list of Brad Pitt movies. Not just because Brad Pitt's in 'em, because they're awesome movies.
8. "A River Runs Through It"
9. "Legends of the Fall"
10. "Seven Years in Tibet"
11. "Fight Club"
12. "Twelve Monkeys": Except for the part where Bruce Willis cuts his teeth out. Ugh.

That's all I've got for now.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh, yeah. And definitely "Mansfield Park."

"I missed you."
"And I you."

Great.

9:34 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I completely forgot about "The Journey of Natty Gann!" John Cusack at his finest! :) And I also forgot about "A River Runs Through It." It's goooood.

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you also forgot about "Citizen Caine" (sp?). Duh...

1:10 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

No, "Citizen Kane" is not my favorite movie at all. At all. It's one of those Great Gatsby things -- everybody raves about it, but I think it's only . . . okay.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your list. However, you might want to include "The Right Stuff" and "Raising Arizona." But maybe those are just two of mine.

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home