Monday, June 27, 2005

Six Flags Over Jaw-juh

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

That's Georgia for you non-Southern folk. I went to Six Flags on Saturday and was so impressed by one particular ride that I had to post something about it. I only wish I had pictures to accompany this post.
Let me start by saying that I hadn't been to Six Flags since high school. It was strange to have to walk through metal detectors at the entrance. . . My onetime favorite roller coaster was The Ninja, but it now gives me headaches (It's really quite amazing that kids can pretty much ignore pain.). Then the Batman ride opened, and that was THE coolest because your legs are left to dangle in the air. So when I heard that you're horizontal for the Superman ride, I was officially psyched. Here are the stats:

MAXIMUM HEIGHT: 115'
FIRST DROP: 100'
LENGTH: 2759'
SPEED: 60 MPH
NUMBER OF TRAINS: 3
CAPACITY: 1520 riders per hour
COLORS: Red, yellow, and blue
MANUFACTURER: Bolliger & Mabillard
OPENING DATE: Spring 2002
RIDE TIME: 3 minutes
SPECIAL FEATURES:
A 78-foot pretzel shaped inverted loop, a 360 degree in-line roll and first of it's kind dual loading stations

I still didn't expect magic or anything, but I was in for a real treat. I want to mention here the beauty of this roller coaster. With the Superman, you can forget about blah color schemes. No; no blacks and greens and oranges for Superman. It's red, yellow, and blue! We stood in line for about an hour (It's also really quite amazing that kids AND adults stand in line for up to 2 hours to experience something that lasts less than a minute.). We sat down, buckled ourselves in, and the machine locked us into horizontal position. Yes, this was going to be good. I was comfortable (which is saying a lot for roller coaster seats), and I felt safe. It was the smoothest coaster ride I had EVER been on. EVER.
The second time we got on, our seats got locked in position for about 20 minutes. But it really wasn't too uncomfortable. I actually had a fun time hangin' there and chatting with everyone. And even with the technical difficulties, it was best ride of the day.
So that's my plug for the Superman.

Oh yeah -- the thing I'm thankful for today: The Superman Ultimate Flight (!)

1 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

I wish UT had some six flags lovin'. I always loved going there during October. Long lines, sweaty people, and overpriced hot dawgs. Doesn't get better than that!

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home