Friday, June 01, 2012

A Sales Call

Around 1:00 today, my work phone rang.  It made me jump a little, as I don't normally receive phone calls at my office.  (I'm just a lowly graduate research assistant; I'm really not important enough to call.)

It turns out that the call was a sales call from AT&T.  They wanted my business.  Here's about how the conversation went down:

Sales Rep:  I'm calling to tell you about AT&T's blah blah blah . . .
Me:  I don't want to be rude, but I'm not interested.
Sales Rep:  Is there a particular reason why?
Me:  I have another provider, and I'm just not interested.
Sales Rep:  Even though we can save you money?
Me:  Yeah, I'm just not interested.
Sales Rep:  But with AT&T blah blah blah . . .
Me:  [Interrupts Sales Rep]  "I'm not interested."
Sales Rep:  Well, I still have to do my job.
Me:  [Seriously?  That's your response??? Well, unfortunately for you, I don't have to listen???]  "Well, I'm just not interested, so I'm gonna hang up now."

And that's exactly what I did.  Normally, I'm fairly amiable on the phone, but I said I wasn't interested nicely.  Three times.  I don't mind talking on the phone to strangers, either; in fact, I love it.  This wasn't a day I could talk, though, and I politely said so.  The thing is, is that I wasn't even angry; I was more amused than anything.  Since when did "Well, I still have to do my job" become a reason for someone to stay on the phone with a phone sales rep?  I guess it's as good a reason as any, really . . .  Props to her, I guess?  At least she gave me a chuckle today.  :)


Thing I'm thankful for: fresh, cool water to drink

2 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Hahahahahha That is funny Sara. BTW, they do get points for keeping people on the phone longer. Makes them look like they can keep people on the phone until they do get interested. Yea, you dont have time to listen to sales pitches. I just say politely the first time, not interested and hang up. Mom

4:30 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

What is with the impossible to read characters and a photo of a number? BUMMER Cant even read the stupid word.

4:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home