Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Girl Scout Cookie Taste Test


Yes, I realize I write at least a couple posts per year on Girl Scout Cookies. But this one's different. THIS one is about the taste test my sister and I conducted when I went home to Georgia a couple of weeks ago. (Was this test one of the main events of my visit? You betcha.)

I've told you that ABC Bakers is better than Little Brownie Bakers. (See Girl Scout Cookies Reloaded.) I'm publicly admitting here that I was wrong. It totally depends on the individual cookie.

We only tested four cookies, but check out the results! (In each picture, the Little Brownie Bakers cookie is on the left, and the ABC Bakers cookie is on the right.)

Thin Mints
Little Brownie Bakers: 3 in favor
ABC Bakers: 6 in favor (but more like 9, if you include the more informal test we completed two years ago)

I feel strongly that this test needs to be re-done. With mint flavor, it makes a huge difference in the test if the weaker mint cookie is eaten first. I didn't make sure everyone ate the cookies in the same order . . .


Samoas/Caramel Delights

LBB: 9 in favor
ABC: None in favor

Everyone agreed that the coconut on the Samoas was toastier, and there was more of it. Additionally, the dark chocolate complemented the coconut much better.


Tagalongs/Peanut Butter Patties

LBB: 1 in favor
ABC: 8 in favor

To be fair, a couple testers thought the texture of the Tagalongs were better. On flavor, though, the majority liked the Peanut Butter Patties.


(Notice the difference in thickness!)


Do-Si-Dos/Peanut Butter Sandwich
LBB: None in favor
ABC: 9 in favor

Similar to the other peanut butter-flavored cookie, some liked the texture of the Do-Si-Dos better. The best in flavor, though, was the Peanut Butter Sandwich, hands-down.


Overall Score
If you live in an area that sells Little Brownie Bakers cookies, buy the Samoas.* If you live in an area that sells ABC Bakers cookies, buy the Thin Mints, Peanut Butter Patties, and Peanut Butter Sandwiches.

Girl Scouts of America, take note!


*From my own experience, I will also recommend that you buy the Lemon Chalet Cremes from Little Brownie Bakers as well. Do not buy Lemonades from ABC Bakers.


Thanks to my family, the taste testers. I'm glad you found it as fascinating as I did. :)


Thing I'm thankful for: thunder!

13 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

Those were excellent photographs! Did you take them? I want to enlarge them and put them in white frames. Great post! I need to start reading your blog again. I love how thorough and scientific you are. Love Lex

11:10 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

that picture of samoas makes me want to lick my computer screen. i can't remember if i commented (i sure meant to at least!) in your reloaded post how crazy i think it is that there are two totally different sets of GS cookies! my whole life i totally thought everyone was eating the cookies on the left! i feel so ignorant. and hungry.

11:18 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Lexi: Yes, I took the pictures. I put the cookies on white printer paper and put them next to windows, so that I could capture all that natural light.

Carrie: I'm glad I could shed some light on the cookie situation for you. :) Also, don't lick you're computer screen . . . :)

12:04 AM  
Blogger janiekyu said...

what about the lemon cookies?! those are my favorite next to the samoas =)

12:21 AM  
Blogger Jeff said...

This is a dedication to science I can appreciate.

7:33 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Love your post on GS cookies! Pics are great too! You are so fun, Sara! You think of things in a very creative way.

7:40 AM  
Blogger Em T said...

Hmmmmm, samoas.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Gretchen Alice said...

Sara, I really admire your dedication to science. And cookies. :)

9:17 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

I'm sad...we got the Little Brownie Baker's kind in New York. Last year we had the other brand that was good. I knew it was bad when I saw that my Thin Mints didn't have a scalloped edge. Sigh...

9:54 PM  
Blogger Allison Hurd said...

I just stumbles upon your blog. We live in the LA area. We sell LBB cookies but south of us is ABC. So we are going to do a taste test with our girls. And then send them home on a massive sugar high, of course! Glad to see that it's not just us who had the same inclination when we learned there was a difference. Although the council staff here swears that LBB is better. Those new Mango cookies are amazing enough to make me want to move!

3:37 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Allison, I'm so glad to know that you are doing a taste test, too! Please come back and post your results!

And thanks for the mango cookies tip! A few sellers told me they were awful, so I didn't even try them, even though I dearly love mango and was hoping they'd be good. I guess I'll just have to try it out for myself! :)

Happy testing!

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ran across your post looking for a comparison. I''m a lifetime member of Girl Scouts, but grew up on an island and didn't do any comparisons. Now that I live between two councils, and am so happy finding this.

Thank you!

6:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am going to disagree completely with do-si-dos vs peanut butter sandwiches. do-si-dos FTW by far. Thin mints tie. I like both, yeah flavor is different.

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home