Friday, January 13, 2006

West Georgia Wolves

The university I graduated from and now work for just changed their "athletics marketing identity," a.k.a. their mascot. It used to be the Braves, but the NCAA started discouraging the use of such ethnic identities a few years ago.

So what are we now? Obviously from this post's title, you now see that we're the wolves. This was the winner from such names, including "Patriots," "Redhawks," "Firebirds," and "Power." The three most popular were the "Patriots," "Redhawks," and "Wolves."

Because I'm now a full-time staff member of the Communications and Marketing department -- ahem -- I heard the name a couple of days before it was announced during the press conference. When I first heard the name, I thought, "Wolves? Yuck!" But actually, it has kind of grown on me. "West Georgia Wolves" sounds pretty good, and at least with this name, we'll have a proper sideline mascot. What would the university have used as a mascot for something like "Power?" Plus, out of all the proposed graphic sketches of a logo, the one for the wolves was by far the best. UWG has other plans up it's sleeve, too -- a new health/wellness center, new soccer field, a football stadium, and a move from Division II to I in the next 7-10 years. It's pretty cool, actually.

But listen to me -- when did I care so much about sports? Since I started working in a full-time position with the Communications and Marketing department. !

Thing I'm thankful for: My new Banana Republic sweaters that I got on sale. They're my first Banana Republic purchases of my life!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Yeah. I don't know how I feel about this. I think it should have been changed to the Fireants as was originally rumored. Fireants are vicious.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

POWER?!? That's not even an object! What would the mascot be...Kryptonite? I would have suggested Life, Love, or Knowledge had I known they were thinking of something more abstract. Watch out! There goes the University of West Georgia Power(s)! Maybe we could have been the first one's to push the mascot boundries, though. Oh, well.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home