Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Political Affiliations


Well, for the last several years, I've taken quiz after quiz about my political leanings, and the results always seem to say I'm a Democrat. (The image above is from isidewith.com, and according to my answers to their questions, those are the political affiliations I side with the most, in order.)

I'm always a bit conflicted over my results, though. It's probably because my mom is a staunch Republican and most Georgians are staunch Republicans and I think most members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are Republican. I don't feel special or unique or superior to anyone in those groups because of my quiz results, but I do feel a bit . . . Confused, I guess. And I also don't want to identify with any party, least of all Democrats or Republicans. Each of those have their drawbacks, and as far as I'm concerned, Democrats are often snobby and Republicans are often willfully ignorant. Both -- at least at the extremes -- are close-minded.

So I'll continue to call myself moderate, I guess. Or left-leaning. But it is strange . . . It's maybe the one label I don't like using to define myself.


Thing I'm thankful for: Advil liqui-gels

1 Comments:

Blogger John Marriott said...

Maybe your leanings-political are a little bit hereditary. Your great grandfather, Arthur Marriott, was in the bishopric of his ward in the small farming community of Warren for something like 30+ years, and bishop for 8 or so. When he was made bishop (when I was growing up everybody in the community still called him bishop) in his first address to the congregation he stated that while he may now be bishop, he was still a Democrat! Of course, at that time (pre-Benson) the church was not nearly as closely identified with the Republican party as they are today, altho rural communities like Warren likely were. I imagine most of Arthur and Hazel's children, including my father and your grandmother, inherited the same proclivity, even in the face of social pressures to conform with the larger community's affiliation.

A growing body of research has shown that people who self identify as moderate or independent generally vote with one party or the other in most all elections. "Swing" voters, or those who vote for the "best" person supposedly (or the lesser of two evils), are not the electoral force that our media would like us to believe. What matters is how many of the committed or leaning partisans show up at the polls. While a majority of Muricuns identify as independent or moderate, like you they do not "swing" much when it comes to ballots and elections. Welcome aboard!

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home