Friday, January 17, 2020

On Being Married

Daryl and I don't have a song, and I suppose not a lot of couples do these days -- gone are the days of formal dances and mix tapes. I think we'd both agree, though, that if we did have a song, it'd be this:



Here, read the lyrics:
I don't remember what day it was
I didn't notice what time it was
All I know is that I fell in love with you
And if all my dreams come true
I'll be spending time with you
Every day's a new day in love with you
With each day comes a new way of loving you
Every time I kiss your lips my mind starts to wander
And if all my dreams come true
I'll be spending time with you
Oh, I love you more today than yesterdayBut not as much as tomorrowI love you more today than yesterdayBut, darling, not as much as tomorrow
Tomorrow's date means springtime's just a day away
Cupid, we don't need ya now, be on your way
I thank the lord for love like ours that grows ever stronger
And I always will be true
I know you feel the same way too
Oh, I love you more today than yesterday
But not as much as tomorrow
I love you more today than yesterday
But only half as much as tomorrow
Every day's a new day, every time I love ya
Every way's a new way, every time I love ya
Every day's a new day, oh, how I love ya
I'm sure some people think, "Oh, that's cute. They're in the honeymoon phase still." And maybe so. But every day I'm amazed that marriage can be like this. I love Daryl more than I did when he proposed and more than I did the day we married. My love for him grows and grows, and I don't understand it. We've had our share of troubles and arguments, of course, but I've never experienced the peace that comes from being so happily matched. It's a wonder.


Thing I'm thankful for: medicine

3 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

And that was one of my favorite songs!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Just here to say re: your comment "I'm sure some people think.... they're in the honeymoon phase still" - when we were first married I felt like people sometimes used that as an insult. Like, we're so naive, just give it time and we'll eventually sour on each other, or at least get bored of each other.

We're 5 years in (as of this week!). Our first year of marriage was amazing, and it's somehow even better now. I'm so happy you're happy and you deserve to be as happy as you want for as long as you want. :) So many congratulations.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I've been married for 15 years now, and I can still say my husband and I love each other more now than we did in the beginning. When you draw nearer to each other throughout your trials that invariably happen, your bond becomes stronger, and your love for one another deepens. The "honeymoon phase" is a cliche that needs to die. You can always choose to love over all, even when you're upset with each other or argue. When love and respect are at the heart of your relationship, you can make it through a lot together. So happy for you, Sara!

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home