Thursday, March 15, 2012

Paddleboarding!


The first time I kayaked on Town Lake in Austin last spring, I saw a guy doing what you see pictured above.* It's called paddleboarding or stand-up paddleboarding, otherwise known as supping.** (S.U.P.-ing?) I was intrigued and awed and positive I would never, ever do it.

There's not a first time for everything, but there was for me and paddleboarding. I went this week with a group of friends, and it was wonderful. I was so nervous I wouldn't be able to stand or keep my balance on the board. (In hindsight, those are ridiculous things to be nervous about because if you fall, you just fall into water. But I get nervous a lot, so it's really no surprise that my anxiety levels were high.) I did alright, though. I stayed on my knees for a while before I worked up the courage to stand, and I only fell once, when I tried to turn my board around and paddle against the wind. Not too shabby, I think. (Though I did almost fall about a dozen times.)

Anyway, it was so much fun, and I am going to try it again soon!


*That's a picture of the Austin skyline, by the way.
**If you are reading this and you don't live in Austin, feel sorry for yourself. OR visit me and paddleboard with me! You will love it! I'll pay for your return flight home, if you don't!


Thing I'm thankful for: Spring Break! (I'm having too much fun!)

4 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

I am thrilled you are trying so many new things! Adventuresome!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Laura Bain said...

I LOVE paddleboarding! Bishop bought a few last summer and I got to go while I still lived there. I'm glad you got to have that 'first' and that you enjoyed it! I should come visit you and go paddleboarding with you!!

11:25 AM  
Blogger Pumba said...

Sara I am so glad you got to go paddleboarding! It's one of my favorite things to do. I have considered buying one for myself and even picked one out yesterday (what a coincidence!). If you promise to visit me and go paddleboarding with me I'll go ahead and buy it now! Miss you!!!
-Amy

11:57 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

is that you in the picture?! i need a close up! this is so cool. chris and i did this in abu dhabi and i had never seen it before (and didn't even know what the name of it was until i read your very informative post!) and was super reluctant to try. like you, really nervous i would fall in the water! he tried it and said it was super easy so i gave it a try, i didn't fall in but i was never really able to relax. i'll have to visit you and give it another shot!

11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home