Friday, May 13, 2011

Orange, Red, Pink, Yellow


That's the order I like my Starbursts.*

For the longest time, I thought it was red and then pink. I guess I just assumed those would be the best based on my previous candy experience. Plus, my sister liked pink and red the best, so I copied her. When we were young and ate candy by the pound, we'd always eat the reds and pinks first. Oranges were next, and yellow was a last resort. (Who likes yellow the best, anyway?)**

Sometime in middle or high school, I realized that I liked orange the best. I must have gotten to the oranges and realized that I actually liked them. A lot. It's sort of odd, I guess, but that's often how I work. I like things that my family and friends like until one day, I realize I don't.

Let me give you some examples: Peas. Lemonade. Twizzlers. Cookie dough ice cream.

So. I'm trying to get better at knowing what I like early on. What can I say? I'm a follower. I take what people say to heart. I don't think it's a horrible quality. But I do think I need to grow out of it a bit.


* I don't eat much sugary candy, but if I do, I typically go for Skittles.
** Seriously, who likes yellow the best? If you do, leave a comment!

Thing I'm thankful for: listening to music while I clean

8 Comments:

Anonymous Lyndel said...

Yellow is my favorite! Orange comes in at a close second though :)

8:34 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Red and pink were my favorite colored Runts (but then they decided to ruin a good thing and replaced red with purple). For me, picking a favorite Starburst flavor is a lot like trying to pick a favorite Jolly Rancher...they're all pretty much awesome, so it's a hard choice :)

12:12 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

i have so much to say about this post i can't even formulate it into a cohesive thought. i'm going to come back tomorrow with my formal response. until then, i'm mildly mad at you for posting about something i don't have in the house. YOU KNOW i always want to eat whatever you mention on your blog.

for the fifth time, START BLOGGING ABOUT RAW VEGGIES!!!

love you.

12:59 AM  
Blogger Pumba said...

I like yellow the best. The pink, then orange, then red (but I try to get my brother to eat all of the reds so I don't have to eat any).
I'll let you in on a secret. I'm a bit of a follower too. And I too am trying to work on figuring out what I like early on. I am getting better at it, but it's a slow process.
Thanks for the wonderful post. It was very intriguing and made me think.

7:31 AM  
Blogger dallin+michelle said...

orange are my favorite too!! orange, pink, red, yellow... not gonna dog the yellow though. sometimes there is just too many berry flavors and you just need a little lemon (or orange) to break it up. AND... who knew, but when it comes to sweets, i am a skittle girl all the way!! but starburst are also a delight too :)

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Tim Olsen said...

Interesting how it appears that there are far more yellows in your picture and only *one* pink. This could confirm your theory that yellow is a least favorite, but gives a strong argument to pink being the preferred color. What flavor is pink anyway?

Oh, and about making decisions... you might like this book: Gut Feelings: http://www.amazon.com/Gut-Feelings-Intelligence-Gerd-Gigerenzer/dp/0670038636

11:07 AM  
Blogger Will said...

Twizzlers are evil: counterfeit licorice. I've also never understood the appeal of cookie dough ice cream.

Just disliking those two things will get you a high five from me next time I see you, unless I forget.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

okay, i guess it took two days but i'm back. i used to be a starburst follower too. always liked reds and pinks the best. now i think i like them all almost exactly equal! how many people can say that?!?! it just depends what i'm in the mood for though so maybe i'll really love yellow the best at the moment but later in the day or next week i'll like red the best. so when i see a giant bowl of candy, i try to dig out equal colors.

with skittles, sooo not the case. green and red always win there. always.

and as a kid follower i really tried to like licorice and lemonade but i couldn't even trick myself on that one. gross. although i do enjoy raspberry or strawberry lemonade if it's hot enough (or pool party/bbq/summertime feeling enough).

i'm glad you recognize that being a follower isn't a terrible thing. i'm completely a follower and i have really embraced it in my more adult years. it has so many admirable qualities and is really suited for easygoing people like us!

i love you and i love your blog. and those are my thoughts on this post.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home