Saturday, January 15, 2011

Gone to Texas, Part Three


I arrived in San Antonio today at about 4:00 pm. My parents are not at home and will not be home until later tonight. They hid the house key and told me where to find it, so I was able to easily let myself in.

I'm grateful for the safety I've experienced on my journey so far, but on finding myself in a strange new place all by myself today, all I wanted to do was go somewhere familiar. I wanted to forget about the fact that my life is full of change right now. I wanted to find comfort in bright lights and well-known aisles . . .

I went to Target.

What is it about Target that is so comforting? I only bought a few things, and they were things I needed, not wanted. So I wasn't shopping my problems away . . . Maybe it's because Target is clean, and there aren't boxes of product on the floor, obstructing my walking patterns. Whatever it is, it is good. I really needed to wander around a place that made me feel like not everything is topsy-turvy.

Anyway, I'm here in San Antonio, alone. But safe and warm. I'm trying to figure out how to use my parents' new TV remote. So far, I haven't been successful, and it bothers me a lot. Why can't TV remotes be intuitive? And why do I feel the need to throw it at the TV? Violence never solved anything . . .

Thing I'm thankful for: Maine blueberry jam. Yummmee!

6 Comments:

Blogger Melanie said...

Sara, I'm so jealous of your opportunity to be in Texas! I have wanted to move out there since the first time I went to visit! I love San Antonio and that Temple is one of my favorites! I will be living vicariously through you until I'm able to make the move, so keep up the posts! :)

7:52 PM  
Blogger Paula said...

So happy you arrived safe! The wonders of the myriad of remote controls never ceases to amaze me...even having the SAME CABLE from Detroit to Daytona Beach to Traverse City to St. Louis to Atlanta....different remotes. :S Not kidding. Sigh...hang in there!

p.s...I understand the target thing...I always seek out the familiar when I first move somewhere!

8:11 PM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I'm glad you made it.

Miss you.

1:45 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Ha Ha! Dad can figure this remote out better than the ones we had in Georgia. Is that not strange? Glad you are here safe! It will get better, I promise.

2:30 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

NICE pic of our new Target and that BLUE evening Texas sky!

2:31 AM  
Blogger dallin+michelle said...

my first thoughts... look at the incredible sky! and sigh... i love target... and oh how i miss sara :) STILL, hooray for you sara! you made it... you're moving up and up and up!!! xoxo

3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home