Thursday, August 19, 2010

Something Cute

For various reasons, I was sort of bummed this morning, so I thought I'd post a picture that makes me smile and hope that it might make you smile, too.

I just took this picture from the Internet, but I could've taken a photo similar to it, when I was 6- or 7-years old. That's when my family had Samoyeds. Bomber and Snowy. Bomber and Snowy had one set of extremely adorable puppies that all looked like white balls of fluff, similar to the one you see here. We tied blue-ribbon collars around the boys' necks and pink around the girls.' I think the ribbons had white polka dots on them, too . . . (I grew up in a very arts and crafty type of home.)

Anyway, those puppies. Those puppies were the thrill of my childhood. I loved them so much. When I was going through my things at MommyDaddy's, I found more than one journal entry devoted to those little doggies. In my youthful and sloppy handwriting, I had written all about how Bomber and Snowy had puppies and how later, Bomber had gotten hit by a car and died.

I didn't write about how my mom sold the puppies or that she eventually sold Snowy. (I really don't understand why she sold Snowy.) All I know is that I loved those Samoyeds, and I think they're some of the prettiest dogs around. They were part of our family for maybe 5 years, so it's sort of amazing to me that I still have a soft spot for those crazy loud dogs.

But just look at that picture! Isn't it the cutest?


Thing I'm thankful for: the warmth of sunshine after sitting in a cold building.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Blake said...

Reading the following temperament description makes me laugh, as it perfectly characterizes both Bomber and Snowy:

"Samoyeds' friendly disposition makes them poor guard dogs; an aggressive Samoyed is rare. With their tendency to bark, however, they can be diligent watch dogs, barking whenever something approaches their territory. Samoyeds are excellent companions, especially for small children or even other dogs, and they remain playful into old age. When Samoyeds become bored they may begin to dig. With their sled dog heritage, a Samoyed is not averse to pulling things, and an untrained Samoyed has no problem pulling its owner on a leash rather than walking alongside. Samoyeds were also used to herd reindeer. They will instinctively act as herd dogs, and when playing with children, especially, will often attempt to turn and move them in a different direction. The breed is characterized by an alert and happy expression which has earned the nicknames "Sammy smile" and "smiley dog.""

12:19 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Hahaha -- yes, that description is true to form. I remember that Lexi hated the way Bomber would try to push her around. :)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh my gosh... he's so fluffy!

He's so fluffy, I'm gonna die!

I want that dog in my life.

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home