Monday, July 19, 2010

Open Letter to Alexandre Dumas

Dear Mr. Dumas,

I didn't think it possible to find my favorite book at the age of 28. I don't know why, but it seems like people identify their favorite books when they're young. Perhaps it's because a lot of people do most of their reading in middle and high school.

At any rate, I may have found my new favorite book. Jane Austen is my favorite author, to be sure, but apart from her works, I'd say you are climbing the charts! The Count of Monte Cristo is an exciting read; I haven't been this riveted with a novel since college! I checked out an audio book edition of The Count of Monte Cristo recently, and I just can't um . . . put it down! I look forward to driving to and from work now. Some days -- if I'm lucky -- I have time to sit in my car during lunch and continue the story of Edmond Dantes and his friends and foes.

What a remarkable talent you have for writing, despite your lack of formal education. Really, I want to shout from the rooftops to everyone below: "Read The Count of Monte Cristo! It's the best novel you've never read!"

So until I die, or until I find another amazing novel -- one that gives me a passion for reading again -- I will sing your praises. And if anyone asks me for a book suggestion, I will tell them to read The Count of Monte Cristo.

Thanks for making novels fun again,
Sara


P.S. Because of that library scene in The Shawshank Redemption, I laugh every time I see your name. I know, it's immature of me, but that's what happens when you become famous and your last name is "Dumas."

9 Comments:

Blogger Em T said...

I'm Emily Tayman and I approve of this message.

Seriously, such a good book.

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Blake said...

First third of the book is the best novel evar. Then everything stalls after the confusing Roman Bandits section. Maybe someday I'll finish it. (It's been sitting on my nightstand for a year now).

5:56 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

This is not my favorite book but I agree it is one of the best! Can you believe that almost everyone I know said to read the abridged edition the first time I read it. I was glad I didn't listen....It is so good with everything. My friend was talking about it on facebook the other day and she had like 15 comments telling her to read the abridged one...insanity!
Miss you :)

7:09 PM  
Blogger Dracoverde said...

One of my favorites! Actually, it is the reason I am going to learn French this year. The next time I read it I will do so in French.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

This is Adam...The Roman Bandits were the best! They got him out of a jam in a big way man. I agree...best book ever! Dumas' birthday is this weekend and it's gonna be insaaaaaannneee!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Pumba said...

I love this book too! In fact you might have inspired me to read it again. :)

1:54 PM  
Blogger EmmyLou said...

This is such a good book!! I once turned down a date to the Sundial resturant with a guy a really liked because I was reading this book. It is captivating!

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Barry said...

Bravo! Funny, I read it last year after years of watching and loving the movie. I can't say that the changes they made for the movie were good or bad. I found both very entertaining but for different reasons. Also, may be the longest single book I've ever read. I noticed the changes during the scenes in Rome where the story takes a bland turn, and I assume it was written by one of the authors Dumas was notorious for collaborating with on works. I read he would get paid by the word for weekly serials and so would use filler from other authors.

2:57 PM  
Blogger jules said...

I started reading it last year and got about halfway through. I loved it but I haven't finished it yet.

have you read "Gone with the Wind?" Its my all time fav!

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home