Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Careful, I May Be Editing Your Writing!

I couldn't count how many times people tell me they get nervous to write me e-mails because they think I'm editing their writing and judging them.

Here's the thing: Now that I am a professional editor, I do look at all the words I see with an editor's eye. I have always paid attention to the rules of grammar and punctuation, but now that I am required to pay attention to those things, it has become a habit. I like to think it's what happens with all professions. That is, for example, a hair stylist notices good or bad hair everywhere he goes; an animator could appreciate or criticize the computer graphics of a movie; a musician pays special attention to the sound quality of music; and a scientist recognizes the problems and inaccuracies of pseudo research.

I am trained to edit everything: cereal boxes, road signs, billboards, ads, Web sites, and yes, even e-mails.

So do I notice your misspellings? Your misuse of commas? Improper formatting? Yes, yes, and yes.

Do I judge you? NO!* Even editors need editors! I make mistakes, too! Also, the fact that I don't use red pens to edit should be a dead giveaway to my nonjudgmental editing nature.

So send me e-mails! Leave comments on my blog! Write a text or two! I won't think you're an idiot, if you accidentally type "their" instead of "they're."


*There are, in fact, times when I have judged people by their writing. It's when the writing is particularly egregious and especially when it's something from a guy I'm dating. :/


Thing I'm thankful for: ceiling fans!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dracoverde said...

If thats the kase than this, sentance must reely put you're teath on edge

5:21 AM  
Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I don't believe you. I'd bet money that you judge everyone. It's impossible not to.

On the bright side, I'm sure you are still kind in your assessment of people.

Myself on the other hand...if you use a science concept incorrectly, I will assume you're better off pursuing a career at Wendy's.

7:03 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Nicely written and well expressed. Love YOU "MOM" hahahahha quotes!

8:36 AM  
Blogger Em T said...

I love the word egregious. It makes me happy that you use it for everyday purposes as well.

I'm pretty sure that we can be bosom friends forever if you work the phrase, "egregious act of perfidy" in sometime.

P.S. I decided a long time ago that so long as I didn't cross the line of calling someone a sweat girl, I was probably OK. Anything else I get correct is just gravy.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

You're a lot nicer than me. I edit e-mails all the time and judge many of them.

Is it nice or right? Nope.

Do I still do it? You betcha.

3:48 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Sara, I thought it would be funny if I found a mistake in your post, but I didn't! Oh well. Thanks for the reassurance, I do usually think about my grammar and punctuation more when I'm writing you. But it's good for me to actually think about it once in a while, so I need to write you more often!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home