Monday, August 16, 2010

Weekend of Firsts

My weekend can be summed up in four words: high anxiety and sweaty palms. (That's right, folks; my hands sweat. I'll post more on this later.)

Before I tell you what my "firsts" were, I'll preface the list by saying that I am not a performer. I have stage fright. My mind often goes blank in front of an audience. I blush. A lot. Why, then, did I sign up for these things, you ask? Because I have always thought my shyness was a negative trait and constantly try to overcome it. I'm also too resistant to change and don't like to step outside my comfort zone, but what is this life about, if not to improve oneself and the world in general?

Plus, I like to make people laugh.

So without further ado, here's the list of firsts I accomplished this weekend:
  • Donated blood to the American Red Cross.
    I learned a little about phlebotomy, including how to spell it! :/
  • Performed in a church talent show.
    In between acts, I impersonated eight people in my ward. I was so nervous that I wanted to quit as soon as I began. But I didn't. Apparently, I was funny. Phew!
  • Ate a Bic Mac.
    I know, I know! Who hasn't done this at my age? What can I say? I'm a flexitarian!
  • Sang in a trio in church.
    I forgot my very first note and messed up the beginning of the song. (Sorry, Brandy and Holly!) I quit singing for a while, but jumped back in on the second verse. I think we ended strong. I hope.
  • Sang tenor in said trio.
    (An octave higher) I learned that it is extremely difficult to sing tenor when you're used to soprano. I now have more respect for people who sing harmony.
All in all, I think it was a scary, but good weekend. I feel like a better person for it. :)


Thing I'm thankful for: primary songs.

3 Comments:

Blogger Em T said...

I like all the links:) Good job trying out so many new things!

2:01 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Good grief, Sara!

That sounds like a very uncomfortable weekend.

I'm secretly glad I can't give blood, because the one time I had to have it drawn for medical purposes, I totally passed out.

Don't worry about the Big Mac. I've never had one and I'm pretty cool about it.

2:17 PM  
Blogger A Frost said...

Okay now I really want to know who you impersonated!

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home