Monday, August 02, 2010

My Free Associations, Part 2

A long time ago, I wrote a post about my first name and My Free Associations to it. I promised to do the same with my last name, and finally, I did. I don't think it turned out as good, but what can I say? I was associating freely. I didn't plan it, and this is what came out:

Snow. Fluffy, white, pure, angelic snow. Every time I see it, I think of my last name and how I never actually want to give it up when I am married. Now that I am older and still single, I wonder whether I will have to give it up, and that prospect makes me want to.

Most of the Snows I've met are pale and blonde. We have high, round cheeks and big eyes. We are not huge people, but we are tall and strong. We literally have big heads. And we are also Snow-it-alls.

When I was in elementary school, my classmates would say, "Make it snow, Sara! Make it snow!" They made these commands on cold and windy winter days, hoping that school would be canceled the next day. I remember pretending to be annoyed. The prospect of getting out of work when it begins to snow still gives me a thrill. Forget about the car accident I caused on a snowy evening in 2008. The positive things about snow overshadow the depressing ones by far: snow angels; snow ball fights; snow forts; being tackled in the snow and tackling back. My favorite thing about snow happens to be a narcissistic reason, though. Falling snow forces people to think about me. I'm ashamed to admit that I love it.


Thing I'm thankful for: talking to people much older than me.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Saule Cogneur said...

You're talking about me, right.

Aw shucks, I'm thankful for you too!

10:53 AM  
Blogger Em T said...

Honestly, I hated changing my name. I loved my maiden name for a whole different list of reasons and it was very difficult for me to give it up. I didn't like being called by my married name and I refused to answer to it until I had legally changed it. What a brat, right?

Obviously I've gotten over it. I think it great that we have names/families that we can be proud of and that have special meanings to us. I'm starting to have that with my married name, too, but it's something that I've had to kind of grow over time.

P.S. I've always thought you had a beautiful name, but I'll still like you if you become Sara Roach someday.

12:23 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I, too, love your last name and encourage you to hold on to is because I'm doing the same!

Not with your name. With mine. I'd take your name, actually because then we'd have the same name.

Too many words?

P.S. Whenever the Ben Folds song "Zak and Sara" comes on, I am delighted because I like to think it's about me (except for the mental illness part).

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home