Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Pet Peeve No. 1


I don't know if I've ever directly posted about a pet peeve on my blog. Sure, after reading a post, you can tell whether I'm raving or ranting, but I don't know if I've ever said anything like, "This is something I don't like. Period." And please, readers, correct me if I'm wrong; I won't take it personally.

So. I realize I may be stepping on some toes here, but I'm just going to come out and say it: I don't like when girls complain about wedding planning. In the last few months, two girls I know have complained about how stressful it is and how they've never been so stressed in their entire lives.

Hell-OOO! If wedding planning is so taxing, then don't do it. Plan something small, or seriously consider eloping. I understand that it can be draining because it's expensive, and everyone has to give their opinion about what they think should or shouldn't happen.

But think about it: If you're so stressed about planning a wedding, maybe you're focused on the wrong thing. I know, I know -- I'm not married and have never had to plan a wedding, but I really do feel that I'm old enough in age and maturity to appreciate the fact that a wedding is about GETTING MARRIED TO THE PERSON YOU LOVE THE MOST EVER. I don't have that. That has never been an option for me up to this point in my life. It would be a dream come true if a man I loved wanted to marry me forever.

That brings me to this: If I ever complain about wedding planning when or if I have to do it, somebody please slap me in the face!


Thing I'm thankful for: taking a walk with friends. It makes exercising fun!

8 Comments:

Blogger Em T said...

I'm just going to say it....

amen.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

:) Sara...I agree! It does add stress to life because you have to find people and plan but just make decisions and stay on top of it. I didn't think it was a too big of a deal and I planned it all in 10 weeks with no problem. We just had a nice, simple, easy wedding and we tried to make it as easy for everyone else as we could. Most of our friends had much nicer weddings but less fun. Everyone still talks about how fun our reception was.

10:40 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

My wedding seemed too simple sometimes when I think about it. But since Adam and I were the only ones paying for it, we saved most of our money for the Honeymoon!! And I can't complain, it was exactly how I, we :), wanted it.

7:20 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I promise to backhand you the moment I hear any inkling of whining.

People, especially women, tend to get caught up in THE WEDDING, not the marriage.

This is often the reason they're later shocked to learn that marriage is, in fact, work.

I'm with you.

9:20 AM  
Blogger jet said...

Having recently planned and cancelled a reception for this very reason, I don't think it is the actual planning - I think it is working with all those who think they should be/want to be involved.

Elope, then there's no drama. ;)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Mei said...

Hi... I just came across your blog - I love your writing! I have to agree with you here about women who complain when planning their weddings - it should be a happy time, getting ready for one of the most exciting periods of your life. Yes, it is tough and difficult to please everyone but people should do what they want and what will make them happy.

Mei

4:59 PM  
Blogger individually wrapped slices said...

Okay I wouldnt tell anyone this F2F (but I will post it online where its completely searchable) ...

But I would feel ridiculous if I put on a big show with my wedding. I'm not at the celebratory age for getting married (like 20, 18 years old; 21, 23 if you're male); I'm at the (you need to say this while as you exhale forcefully) "FINALLY" stage. And who celebrates "FINALLY" with a grandiose party? I'll have more of a shameful wedding. Like Justice of the Peace/jeans type deal.

Just me? Ok.

(No but seriously, InStyle had this "Down Home Denim" wedding theme ... I mean, at this point, why not?! Of course it was in the mid-90s when a lot of guys were wearing denim nut huggers but still - temple wedding = traditional part but my reception needs to be FUN! If not created by me, my relatives will provide some comic relief. Lord help my future husband ...)

10:17 AM  
Anonymous Summer said...

I am not girlie so planning my simple and cheap wedding was not stressful at all. I was just happy to be marrying Clay because we had family drama prior to the wedding. Simple and cheap is the way to go!

8:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home