Friday, August 07, 2009

A List of Good Movies


John Hughes died of a heart attack this week. A friend tweeted, "I wonder if we'll have TV marathons all month in honor of [him]." I suppose he was alluding to the media response to Michael Jackson's death a couple of months ago. I don't know if Michael Jackson's name was mentioned less than a million times a day. He was everywhere.

Perhaps unfortunately, not everyone gets that kind of coverage. Well, I really liked John Hughes' movies, so I'm dedicating this post to him and listing my favorite Hughes movies below:

  • Some Kind of Wonderful (1987)
    "Paint it whatever color you want; it's still you using me." Haha! In the moment that line was spoken, teenage drama television was born.
  • Pretty in Pink (1986)
    "Say it! Just say it, Blane! I wanna hear you say it! You're afraid to go out with me! You're afraid to be seen with me!" Truer words were possibly never spoken. I still think this is Molly Ringwald's best onscreen moment. Also, Hughes said a lot in this movie about socioeconomic class distinctions and their effects. He was so forward-thinking for his time.
  • National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989)
    My dad will never admit it, but this is one of his top favorite Christmas movies, next to It's a Wonderful Life, maybe. There are so many things I love about this movie, so I'll just say that I've always wanted a house with that many Christmas lights . . .
  • Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)
    Even at six-years-old, I knew Ferris was cool. How could he be so cool? Some people are just born that way. Interestingly, I always associate this movie with my brother Brooks. He's pretty cool, too.
  • The Breakfast Club (1985)
    Oh, the drama! But I love it! My favorite scene? When Ally Sheedy dances her way to a ball on the floor. Or when she dumps out the contents of her purse: "I can go anywhere . . . Africa. Afghanistan."
  • Sixteen Candles (1984)
    Hm. All I can think of for this one at the moment is that Jake Ryan's character was so fashion-forward in this movie. Cargo pants in 1984? Way to go, most-popular-guy-in-school!
  • Home Alone (1990)
    Lots of quotable quotes in this one: "KEVIN!" Or "Kevin, you are such a disease." Or "Hello? Hello? Oh, she'll have to call you back." Or my absolute favorite, which I still quote on a very regular basis, "I'm eating junk and watching rubbish! You better come out and pound me!"
  • Mr. Mom (1983)
    I don't quite remember this one as much as I probably should, considering that I watched it over and over again as a child. I'll have to watch it soon. What I do remember is that washer-and-dryer scene, where bubbles start pouring out. That always looked like fun.
  • She's Having a Baby (1988)
    I like this one, if only for the music and the 80s lighting.
  • Uncle Buck (1989)
    The older sister in this movie always reminded me of my sister Summer -- so dark and teenagery. Also, The Boy Who Could Fly was in it. I didn't like that.

Thing I'm thankful for: Getting off early from work today! Yay! The week is finally lookin' up!

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ahh...what great movies! I agree, fabulous stuff there.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home