Sunday, January 04, 2009

2009 Resolutions

Uh, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
(I'm a little late on the salutations . . .)

I'm normally not a New Year's resolutions type of person, but I figure I might as well try it this year, if only to give myself a reminder of the kind of person I am right now. Who knows? Years from now, I may look at this list and think, "Wow! I actually accomplished some of those goals!" or "Whoa, I can't believe that was important to me then!"

Anyway, here are my resolutions for 2009:
  • Reduce my credit card debt by at least half by finally going paperless, making my lunch each day, not making dining out the focus of social activities, and keeping track of my pennies.
  • Lose 15 pounds by walking at least three times a week and keeping track of my calories. No, I won't count all of my calories, but I won't splurge on something that's really not worth eating, like the yucky store-bought desserts people leave in the office break room.
  • Get more sleep by going to bed when I'm tired, even if it means saying "no" to people. I don't think the weekends count as much, but during the week, I need to get more rest.
  • Read scriptures daily by taking MARTA to work. That puts at least 30 minutes of reading time into my day.
  • Get healthy by drinking more water and taking a daily dose of Metamucil. Call me old, if you want to, but my body needs a fiber supplement each day. Green leafy vegetables are incredible, but they are just not enough all the time. ;)
  • Learn how to cook something new every month by well, cooking something new. And by organizing all of my recipes.
  • Make my apartment a home and not just a transitory place I live in until I am eventually married. Put pictures of my family on the wall, organize everything . . . stuff like that.
  • Read a book every two months at least! Since I've graduated from college, I haven't done enough reading. It's probably the other way around for a lot of people, but remember, I was an English major. What happened?!?
  • Draw again. I'll start by sketching . . .
  • Study for the GRE by reading and taking a continuing education math course at a nearby university.
  • Calculate how much money it takes to bake and frost a batch of sugar cookies. I've gotta get started on my goal of opening a bakery at some point!
  • Upload pictures onto my blog by first re-sizing them in Photoshop. Argh.
Okay. Those are the big ones. I left some room for a few "non-essential" things, but basically, this year is going to be a year of organizing and prioritizing for me. I plan on using this scripture from Doctrine and Covenants (Section 88, verse 119) as my theme:
Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God[.]

I think it's a do-able list. We'll see . . .

What are your resolutions? Do you normally make them? Why or why not?


Thing I'm thankful for: Such a long vacation! I had a full week and a day off! Eat that, CDC sub-contracting companies! :)

7 Comments:

Blogger A Frost said...

I like your New Years Resolutions! I like how you have been detailed with your goals.

7:48 PM  
Blogger michele said...

Sara! This is an awesome post, because now everyone can check up on you to see how you're doing with your goals. Maybe I'll do the same thing.

Maybe I should try helping you with the third goal. The next time you come over to my house on a week night I am going to FORCE you to leave by 10:30. :)

Hey, maybe we should go walking together sometimes! Its always fun to go walking with someone you can talk to. Plus we can protect each other from kidnappers/rapists on the streets.

10:24 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Great New Years Resolutions Sara. I know you can do many of them. Of course we don't always keep all of them, but it is nice to at least strive to reach more than we can, in order to reach the important goals. Love love love you and glad you were home so long. Love MOM
P.S. You have inspired me. And don't mess with what the Dr put you on. You may not handle flax seed so well. I think you should stick to what the MD has said. It is safer, especially if one might possibly have a condition in their colon or intestines which do not allow for small seeds like flax.ie. Colitis, in which small seeds of any kind are dangerous and can cause inflammatory cysts. Just my take on it as a mother.

2:51 AM  
Blogger Lexia said...

Ha! Ha! Now the world knows about your poopy problems.

I found this strange link online while double checking the spelling of "poopy." It's a Baptist church site that comments on Jesus watching you while you use the restroom. The pastor has an odd belief of the human body (it being vile and repulsive) - one that I don't agree with. I can't even tell if this site is supposed to be a joke or not:

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/news0506/watchingyoupoo.html

1:52 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I like that you are going to take Marta! That will definitly give you extra reading time.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom-you're funny (about explaining to the world about Sara's "condition.") I don't make new year's resolutions Sara. I just do the same old thing day-in and day-out and continually rewrite my to-do list because it gets tattered and torn but remains full.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that Metamucil makes the essential list. That makes me so happy. And "Calculate how much money it takes to bake and frost a batch of sugar cookies." I adore that you make that a year's quest. I adore you!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home