Friday, September 15, 2006

My Favorite Friday

I had a great day today! I got to see the girlies!

Summer and Clay went to the temple, so I watched Lily and Macy for the night.

As I drove them to my area of Atlanta, we listened to "Somewhere Beyond the Sea," "Come Fly With Me," and "Catch a Falling Star." And we chatted about how old Lily was getting -- so old that she's in school. This was just part of the girlies conversation:
Macy: Lily's getting old.
Lily: I know. I feel like I have dry skin.

Uh -- huh? I could swear that's what she said. She's such a smart little 5-year-old.

We went to a little bookstore by my apartment called Tall Tales Book Shop. We stayed in there for about an hour, and all of us picked out a book. Lily got a Little Einsteins book called Butterfly Suits. Macy picked out Oswald's Camping Trip, and I got Arthur's Tooth. (When they're a little older, I'd like to read The BFG to them.) The lady at the book shop said she could hear them talking from the front of the store (We were in the children's section.), and she said it was nice to see such little kids already loving books. (I'm a huge literacy advocate. I love to get people to love reading!)

Then we went to Bruster's, where the girls got baby cones with "Cotton Candy Explosion" covered in sprinkles, and I got a single scoop of plain chocolate on a cake cone. We sat outside at a picnic table and enjoyed our dessert. I don't know why, but there is a sandbox next to this Bruster's, so the girls took off their shoes after they were finished with their ice cream and went to town building sand castles. I decided it was time to go when Macy had a little potty accident . . .

So we came back to my 'mpartment, as Macy says it, and as I was looking for a parking spot, Lily told me she liked these apartments. "Maybe I'll move into an apartment when I get older."
"You probably will."
"How old are you, Sara?"
"24."
"That's old. Maybe when I'm 24 I'll move to Atlanta. You don't have to take a plane to Atlanta."

After washing Macy off, we watched "Lady and the Tramp." This is my second favorite Disney movie, after "Sleeping Beauty." We watched the Siamese cats scene 3 times. I loved that scene when I was little and still do, and I'm glad to see that kids in 2006 like it as well. "Where we finding baby, there are milk nearby." Classic. Get's 'em everytime.

We watched the movie from the comfort of my wonderful bed, munched on fruit snacks, and just had fun. Just as Summer and Clay got here, the girls were finishing up the movie. But that's not the end of our fun-filled night. I sent each of them home with a baggie of treats -- lots of stickers, foam letter stickers that spell out their names, glazed animal crackers, more fruit snacks. I'm gonna make a pretty good mom, if I do say so myself. Someday, some guy's gonna be lucky to have me as the mother of his children!

Man, I love kids. Love 'em. The girlies aren't even mine, and I didn't want them to go home. I have more fun with them than I do with some of my friends. I love spending my Fridays like this -- just chillin' with the girlies.

Thing I'm thankful for: local bookstores.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lexia said...

I love those girlies! I'm learning how to be a better mom by watching you, Sara. If mom weren't my mom, I would want you to be my mom. Weird? Maybe. Love? Yep.

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like this entry!! It makes me want to go hang out with the kids I used to nanny for.

You are going to be a terrific mom, Sara!! I will need to take notes from you ;)

Oh, and Lady and the Tramp is a classic!!

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes you will be a terrific mom. Takes one to know one. This is a fantastic post. Love MOM

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that you love the girls. You are a good mom. You just don't have the kids yet. You can borrow mine whenever you want.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home