Friday, February 24, 2006

Circumstantial Attraction

I was thisclose to getting a minor in psychology in college. I feel that gives me the absolute right to call myself a social scientist and to introduce to you a new sociological term with sufficient credibility.

Main Entry: circumstantial attraction
Pronunciation: ser-kum-'stan(t)-shul ah-'trak-shun
Function: noun phrase
Etymology: The term was first introduced in 2005 by promising social scientist Sawa Snow. The phenomenon was defined after a long day in close proximity to a familiar face.
1 : affinity to a person of opposite gender, dependent on conditions of prolonged involvement in a similar activity or space. After significant absence of the object of affection, all attraction wears off, and the subject realizes the absurdity of the aforementioned emotion.
2 : temporary attraction to a person of the opposite sex
3 : pertinent but not essential attraction
synonyms incidental attraction, situational attraction

Thing I'm thankful for: This wonderful Friday weather! (Although, I would like it better if it was still chilly. Love that winter . . . )

5 Comments:

Blogger Brigham said...

Propinquity.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I suffer from that disease? Disorder? Who was the familiar face? Call me.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Oh, it's so true. You can actually talk yourself into having crush. And later you wonder how you ever got on that path!!! But then some people got to know their future spouses that way and got lucky because they married a good friend...

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahahah That's great! I totally agree! You're amazing. :) hehe

~Jennifer G.

6:34 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I like how you spelled "thisclose" as one word, that's really close ;o) What's that called if the print face of your writing matches your content? I should know as an editor...

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home