Saturday, January 20, 2018

Lovesick

I know you've all been waiting on the edge of your seats to know what I thought of "Stranger Things," but this post is not about that TV show––it's about another one. It's about my second favorite show of all-time.*


Lovesick is a British sitcom that centers around three best friends in their twenties. One of the friends gets an STD and must contact his ex-lovers to tell them the news. (The original title of the show was "Scrotal Recall." Ha.) It sounds raunchy, but I promise it's not. It's lovely. And witty and realistic and unconventional. Here, let the writer of the show, Tom Edge, speak for himself:
"I think we always knew the chlamydia and exes track-down was a nice hook for the show. We knew it was exhaustible at the same time [. . .] It felt to us, organically, the right way to take the show [was] to begin to wind down that format and lead us into the trickier questions of long-term relationships and unpacking the complexities between people." (Metro)
And it's true––while the show is laugh-out-loud funny, it's also emotionally sensitive, and the characters are complex without being contrived. I think American TV is often simplistic and slapstick, while British TV––and "Lovesick" especially––is thoughtful and intelligently humorous. It doesn't get caught up in ratings but instead lets the plot go naturally where it should. And bonus:
  1. The music is fantastic!
  2. The characters look like they've been taken out of real life and not dolled-up to look like the most perfect people you've ever seen.

I could go on and on about all the ways in which I love this show, but ultimately what I'm saying is . . . Just watch it. It's so, so good.


*I loved "Stranger Things," and my favorite show of all-time is "Seinfeld."


Thing I'm thankful for: Rebecca, who introduced me to "Lovesick" in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home