Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Movie Review: Cinderella



Some things:
  1. Helena Bonham Carter is fantastic. She is perfectly cast as offbeat characters. It was her appearance in this movie that immediately made me like it more.
  2. The theme of the movie is to "have courage and be kind." That's great. Really, really great.
  3. The musical score was also really, really great.
  4. What's up with Disney and princess cleavage? I can't take it anymore. Why do princesses have to show cleavage? Call me a prude or a feminist or both—I'll say it anyway: I'm tired of seeing princesses as sex objects. Sensual objects, at the very least. I mean, Disney's doing well to move away from the kind of cleavage we see in "The Little Mermaid" and "Beauty and the Beast," but c'mon! What happened to the modest* necklines of the original animated Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White?

Overall, I'd give it a 2.7 out of 5 stars. I liked it, but I wouldn't watch it again.


*When I say "modest," I mean that no cleavage is showing. I get that women these days talk of modesty as being a state of mind more than anything, but I think modesty has some pretty clear practical guidelines as well, and necklines that cover up cleavage is one of them. Sure, there are times when exposed cleavage is unavoidable, but it's the exception.


Thing I'm thankful for: my Snow cousins

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

I felt the same way...I am okay with a little cleavage but there was just something a little lacking with the movie. The story, although basically exactly the same, was more charming in the animated version. But the Fairy Godmother's were pretty evenly matched in both versions :)

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home