Tuesday, January 07, 2014

It's 2014!

Agh!  I've been so bad about blogging lately . . .  I haven't blogged at all this year!  ;)

My Aunt Cindy said she thinks this is going to be a banner year for me; I hope she's right.  Here are some of the things I'd like to accomplish:
  1. Get a professional UX job.
That's it.  That's all.  That's not much to ask, right?

Here's the thing:  When you tell people you just graduated from a master's program, somehow they mentally leave off the "from a master's program" and hear, "I just graduated."  And then it sounds like you don't have any clue how to fit into a professional work environment.  Or how to work with a team of varied personalities and talents.  It's key to know the "master's program" part.  I mean, I ain't no recent college grad.  Not by a long shot.

But this brings up just one of the problems with America's higher educational system.  That is, in recent years, it seems to be the trend to attend graduate school straight out of college.  A lot of people have no idea what they want to do, so they just pick something they're good at or semi-interested in and get more schooling in that area.  So I think a lot of employers think of graduate school graduates the same way they thought about college graduates twenty years ago.  That is, they think they need more experience.

That may be true, but what about those of us who went to graduate school as part of a slight career change?  What about those of us who worked for several years in between college and grad school?  Don't we get some sort of break???

Wah, wah, wah.  Woe is me.  I lead a completely unfortunate life.

:)


Thing I'm thankful for: a warm bed to sleep in.  It's amazing how much that never gets old, and I don't take it for granted.  It may be the greatest blessing in life, come to think of it.

3 Comments:

Blogger dallin+michelle said...

warm bed is def one of the greatest blessings….. but i'd have to say i may put hot showers a smidge higher in the ranking :)

you never cease to amaze me sara!! cheers to an amazing year ahead!!

10:12 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Aw, thanks, Michelle. :) (Still gonna go with the warm bed, though.) :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Congratulations! I think it will be an awesome year for you too! Call me. You dont have your voicemail account set up. PLEASE!
Love YOU MOMMA

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home