Thursday, May 30, 2013

Oh, Canada!

Probably a bazillion people have used that title for a blog post, but I don't care.  It's just so fitting, eh?

I've discovered that people really do use "eh" a lot in Canada.  The reason I know this is because I am, in fact, in Canada.  I'M IN CANADA!

It might not seem like a big deal to anyone, but here's why it's a big deal to me:  I've never been outside of the U.S. before!  This is my first foray into international lands.  Here are my initial observations:
  • Going through the border makes me a little nervous, even though I know I'm not a miscreant.
  • Canada doesn't seem very different from the U.S., but there are little things that make everything feel not-quite-right.  For example, driving along the highway feels very European, with names like Queen Elizabeth Way, Grimsby, and Brittania showing up on road signs.
  • The Native American tribes in this part of the continent are very different from the tribes I learned about in my youth.  They've got names like Mississauga and Neyagawa.
  • Chocolate is different.  It's . . . better.
  • Money is a pain to deal with.  So are cell phones.
  • Milk is sold in bags.  Yes, bags.  Flimsy, not-resealable bags.  Weird.
I think that about covers it for now.  I can't post my own pictures at the moment, but here is one Rachel took, just as we crossed the border:


 
Thing I'm thankful for: that Rachel is my travel buddy.  I'd flip out, if it wasn't for her!

2 Comments:

Blogger Gretchen Alice said...

Oh my gosh, you're making me miss Canada!

8:56 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Don't worry, Gretchen; I'm bringing Canada to you, remember? In the form of chocolate! :)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home