Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Break-In

While I was at church on Sunday and my roommate was gone, my apartment was broken into. The thief shattered the sliding glass door, cut himself on the glass, and spilled blood all over the place while he ransacked our rooms. He took laptops, a thumb drive, a backpack, a bag, jewelry, extra purses, and buttons. (Yes, those would be the spare buttons you get when you buy nice clothes.) My school life was in my laptop and thumb drive. Past projects and reports and wireframes and church talks and photos and videos were all lost. Memories were in the earrings I've collected since I got my ears pierced two years ago. Clothes and towels were stained with that stranger's blood and had to be thrown out. A Christmas present from my mom was ruined, so that got thrown out, too.

Of course I never knew how awful it would feel to be robbed. I didn't know how precious it is to feel safe in my own home. Now, I get nervous at the prospect of just studying by myself. I avoid going home if I can help it, and I have a hard time getting good sleep. I don't want to touch anything in my apartment that he might have touched, so I spend my time at home cleaning, if possible. Or walking around in flip-flops because I don't want my feet to touch where his feet did. I have always cherished alone time, but in the last three days, I haven't wanted to be by myself. It's hard to concentrate, and it's hard to be optimistic. I scored a 19, I think, out of a possible 22 on a post-traumatic stress disorder test.

Here's something, though: I know nice people. Truly generous and genuinely kind people who give me money, food, company, places to stay, cleaning help, and hugs. One friend loaned me her laptop; another wrote me a check for a lot of money. Another friend hosted a bake sale in her department just for me. My family has called and sent e-mails and text messages and prayed on my behalf.

Life is hard, especially lately, but I'm okay. I'll get through it. I'm getting through it.


Thing I'm thankful for: family and friends

7 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so sorry, Sara. Whenever I lose some pictures that I haven't backed up from a hard drive failure it is devastating. And I've had a car stolen. But I can hardly imagine how you must feel. It's the combination of having your valuables digital files taken away (which is even more infuriating when you think about how worthless they are to the thief), as well as your actual things, on top of the emotional distress of having had someone invade your space. I really feel for you, Sara. I hope you're doing ok. If you try really, really hard you may be able to feel a little bit of liberation, knowing you have a little bit less to carry around, which can help you feel more able to live in the now. I love you, Sara.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Sara, I am so sorry. That is so scary and I can't imagine feeling that my home had been compromised. I love you, & you are in my prayers.

Cecilia

7:20 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

We love you Sara and pray for you every night that you will be comforted... I hope that is helping! We can't wait to see you soon!

8:26 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

oh my heavens sara i am so sorry! i second everything tay tay said. all i can add is that i'm praying for you and try to keep an eternal perspective.

i love you!

11:09 PM  
Blogger Jet said...

I can't even imagine. How terrible Sara! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!

1:54 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

This post makes me so sad, Sara. I cried. What present did I give you which got ruined? THE Table cloth?
I will get another one. I am so thankful you have such great and generous friends. I am coming up either Friday or Saturday and we will go shopping to replace as much as we can right away. Ok Chickadee? Be well. It will get better fairly soon. Love MOMMY

6:04 PM  
Blogger David and Jessica Wakefield said...

Sorry to hear that this happened to you, Sara! I hope that you feel better soon!

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home