Monday, May 30, 2011

Loving Texas


Only three months ago, I never imagined myself saying something like, "I like Texas." In fact, I nearly hated it. I was lonely and depressed, and I resented people who would brightly smile as they asked, "Don't you just LOVE Austin?!?" What I wanted to say in response was, "No. No, I don't love it, and I want to move as soon as possible."

It was around Spring Break that I finally let myself quit fretting over school and have some fun. I went to SXSW, saw The Strokes play in concert, and made a couple of good friends. Since then, I've kayaked along Lake Travis, watched the Congress Bridge bats, and toured the Texas State Capitol. I'm beginning to see why people like this state so much: There is a ton of fun stuff to see and do! And the more I embrace die-hard Texans, the more I love their idealized perspective of Texas state history. :)

I don't even mind the heat so much anymore. Besides, the windy nights make up for the sweltering days . . .

I guess I'm learning that it takes me about four months to get settled into a new home and about five months to start to like it. The timing couldn't be better, either, because just last week, I had to finally register my car in this state and give up my Georgia tags for Texas ones. It was sort of a sad little moment, but I'm confident I can handle the change better now than I could have when I first moved here. By the end of June, I suspect I will say I love Texas, and it will be a sad day when I have to leave. :/


Thing I'm thankful for: laughing with my parents

2 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

AND WE, your parents, love laughing with you! Glad you are liking Texas bettter. Great weekend at the Alamo and Riverwalk etc. AND your Company! Congrats on your successes! Love MOMMY

8:40 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

Make sure to visit the basement of the Alamo! ;) And posts pics of the 10 gallon hat you'll soon purchase, as well as your gun, lol

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home