Wednesday, March 23, 2011

SXSW, the End

South by Southwest has come and gone, but I still have a handful of pictures to share with you . . .

I love cinema, so I had to try to see at least one film last week. Although there were about 20 movies I wanted to see, I narrowed it down to a few documentaries, and then because of some scheduling conflicts, I finally picked just one. I decided on Being Elmo: A Puppeteer's Journey.* Lemme tell you, it was excellent! It premiered at Sundance, and a few reviews I read beforehand said it would bring people to tears. I seriously doubted that, but ummm . . . those reviewers were right. (How did they know me so well?)

The documentary played downtown, at The Paramount, which is an old theater that was build just before the Golden Age of Hollywood, in 1915.


It's one of those fancy theaters, with classical murals, rich wallpaper, red carpet, and gilding all over the place.


Did you catch that hole next to the painting? An usher told me Harry Houdini used it in a stunt, once upon a time.


After SXSW movie screenings, the directors, producers, and actors will typically answer questions from the audience for about 15 minutes. Sometimes they are all there, sometimes it's only part of the movie-making crew. In this instance, it was the videographers and composer.


After the show, I met up with my sister's good friend, Collin. Collin is getting a master's degree in animation and film, and he was in town just for SXSW. For the premiere of one of his music videos!

We stuffed ourselves on burgers, shakes, and fries, Rudy's Bar-B-Q, and Blue Bell ice cream. And we also wore pink. :)


What a fun week. Sometime I'm going to save up money to buy a badge for the whole festival, and I'll see all the movies and music I want!

*Being Elmo was truly worth watching. If you can watch it, do. I liked it so much, I might even dedicate an entire post to it soon.


Thing I'm thankful for: being able to change

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason Kesler said...

I watched Mr. Smith Goes to Washington at the Paramount when I was in Austin.

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home