Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Is the World My Oyster or An Overwhelming Sea of Possibilities?

Lauren and I were discussing her future tonight. She was telling me about the creative writing graduate program she's thinking of applying to. Directly after our discussion, I read Lexi's post that alludes to the "what's next" post-graduation feeling.

I graduated from college about a year and a half ago and am still wondering the same thing. What's next? What do I want to do with my life for the next few years? Then visions of the GRE dance in my head. I am so ill-prepared for that test, but I must take it on the 16th anyway because my mom graciously paid for it. Plus, I think I want to go back to school in the fall of 2007. What do I want to study, you ask? Here's what I have thought of so far:
  • Human-Computer Interaction
  • Linguistics
  • Speech Pathology
  • Neuroscience research
  • Endocrinology research
  • Medical illustration
  • Culinary School
  • Editing
Notice that I didn't number that list. They're in no particular order. That's because I have a huge preference for all of them. I am so interdisciplinary, it kills me! Yes, yes, I know it's great to have such interest in lots of subjects. Besides that, I think I have an aptitude for all of them. While those things make my life enviable, they also make my life a little paralyzing. Which career path do I choose at this moment in my life? What would I be best at?

This is one of the thoughts that keeps me up at night. Do I live one of my I'll-never-be-able-to-do-that dreams? Baker or dialect coach. Or do I live one of my I-can-definitely-do-that-but-it'll-take-a-lot-of-time-and-money dreams? Ph.D. in Neuroscience or Endocrinology. Either option is good and righteous. And therein lies the worry and the fear and the paralysis.

So maybe I'll just take a vote. Which career could you picture me entering? And do you ever have these feelings, too?

Thing I'm thankful for: good conversation.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should study Human-Computer interaction. I've heard computers are the wave of the future and whatnot. and like everything seemingly good at first, it's bound to have some sort of horrible repercussion on the human psyche (pysche?) for all the millions of people that use a computer everyday - you should study that!

and now here's a quote!: "the internet - that's the one with email, right?"

9:33 AM  
Blogger Nicole said...

I know you're a nerd about science and you miss it, so that'd be a good one. But my thinking about all that keeps always coming back to what will work out with the other very major goal we share: family, kids!! Do think about that, and then do something you can keep yourself fulfilled with until that happens and then you'll always have to readjust. Whatever plans you make, it'll go differently, but make plans that motivate and stimulate you. Anyway, that's my five cents!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Umm, as your roommate, I say you should go to Culinary School. :)

Seriously though, what do you think would be the most rewarding in 30 years? What profession do you think you would most likely look back on and think, Man, I'm really glad I decided to go back to school to do this?

If the answer to that question is all of the things you listed, then I suggest you get started now 'cause it'll take a long time to finish all of them. :)

2:11 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, I forgot one thing: biological patent lawyer.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

Huh, what about mommy or wife? That takes time and money too.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I can't really think about that right now, Jacki -- I've got to make some alternate plans for a while. (At least, I hope it's only for a while.)

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that speech pathology or lingustics would be most interesting, and I think you would be super good at them. Well, actually I think you would be super good at anything you do, but those two sort of stood out to me.

As far as the GRE goes, I am taking it on the 14th and I feel totally unprepared for it...and maybe because I am!! We should do some last minute cram sessions together....

12:06 AM  
Blogger DiegoLactic said...

Go with HCI...i'm doing a masters on it at IUPUI (Indianapolis) it's great!

and also, they don't require a certain score on the GRE, they just need to know you took it....

that's one less pressure, right?

6:05 PM  
Blogger Leezy Lindsey said...

I think you should choose Speech Pathology. That way you could still be in a medical setting but you wouldn't have all the pressures of let's say, a doctor. Plus, when the time comes, it's great Mom job. I have a cousin who does this and she makes great money and it's a good side job for her.

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lexia said...

NEUROSCIENCE RESEARCH!!! What's wrong with you people? Here's why:

1. You can bake for your kids and edit their papers.
2. Linguistics and Speech Pathology are really just extensions of your love of speaking in accents.
3. You'll learn about endocrinology research on your own anyway.
4. Medical Illustration? Oh, I didn't see that one 'til just now. That one requires 3D graphics and you don't REALLY want to learn Maya.
5. There's another name for culinary school...it's called being a wife.

This leaves us with Human-Computer Interaction and Neuroscience research. So here's how I see it: study neuroscience and combine it with computer technology! All the boys will want you then. You can be like, "hey, I'm researching sensory perception and how it's possible for artificial intelligence to perceive senses in a like manner to that of humans. My hopes of implanting a computer chip (which will trigger an electrical impulse) in the anterior portion of the cerebrum, will enable the human olfactory nerves to..."

And then you can conclude your humanoid topics with cute boys by saying, "now, have some home-made trifle - it's a special recipe I created myself."

Or you could just scratch all that and study Girl - Boy Interaction

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home