Friday, April 14, 2006

Twins on Bosendorfers


Last night I listened to the Becky Ramsey and Alice Walker piano duo. They are identical twin sisters from Atlanta, and they have been playing together since they were 5 (They are now probably in their 50's or 60's.). They play on Bosendorfer 290's, which have 9 extra keys -- absolute works of art, those Bosendorfers . . . Their setlist included selections from Bach, Gershwin, and Bizet, and they played this fantastic composition called "The Typewriter" by Leroy Anderson. For that number, one twin played piano while the other played a manual typewriter! It was actually a lovely and lively piece of music! I wish I'd had my camera!

The concert was performed at the University of West Georgia's performing arts center. The first thing I noticed when I walked in -- I was a tad late -- was how many old people were there. I'm talkin' senior citizens, here. Seriously, there were about 100 people, and I was probably 1 of 5 people under the age of 40. That was fine with me, but what I'm amazed at, is that more young people don't really listen to classical compositions these days. I dunno -- maybe it's because it was a Thursday night, but I just wish more people would listen to symphonic music. (And I can forget about opera! I've only met a handful of people my age who enjoy opera . . .)

I don't know what I'm trying to say here, really, except that if you don't listen to this kind of stuff, you should try it. My favorite piece on the piano is Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. (I had no idea it was a duet.) I'm sure it's a lot of people's favorite, but that's because it's SO good! So start there! (You can hear a clip of it on MSN.)

Thing I'm thankful for: other people's performative talents. I may not be able to do them, but I can appreciate them. :)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I want my kids to listen to all types of music and gain an appreciation for them. If our generation doesn't listen to classical, opera, jazz, ect...who will? Will it become a lost art?

10:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were a classical music enthusiast. This opens up a whole new realm for discussions and fun things to do!

Karmelle

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to this Science and Faith symposium at the Museum of Natural History and I was 1 of 5 youngsters as well (out of an almost filled theatre). Maybe young people aren't into science anymore -- or faith.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Sara, how fun! I went to a classical concert last night, too. There was a class who was forced to be there, some students who had to write a paper about it for Lara's class, faculty and parents, and three volunteers: Greg, my date and I ;o) By the way, they were playing Walton's Facade and that is really funny!! Nonsense poetry recited over some pretty fun 20s band music... Can't find listening samples, though. I'll try and post them on my blog.

3:49 PM  
Blogger Jacki said...

I have always appreciated classical music. My grandma Jean graduated from Julliard and was the first woman to sit first chair in California. Yeah I am proud of my classical heritage. Brooks and I love going to ASO. I wish you called me for the Bosendorfers proformance. I would have made 6 people under the age of 40!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home