Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Souffle? OKAY!

Today I made my first souffle! Basically, it's a cake made of egg yolks, beaten egg whites, and a sauce -- so it's kinda puffy/gooey. The recipe I used calls for semi-sweet chocolate and only 3/4 cup of sugar, so you know it's bitter! The powdered sugar on top helps, but I realize that the chocolateers of America have raised us to be milk chocolate lovers. I think it would be really good with some tart fruit, like raspberries or strawberries. But I am pretty proud of myself; I think it looked and tasted like it's supposed to. It's an adaptation of a dessert in a downtown Manhattan restaurant called Chanterelle. Pretty neat, huh? Next up: banana pudding from the Magnolia Bakery cookbook. YUM.

Here are the pictures of my pretty dessert:

Macy really loves chocolate (She's a girl after my own heart.). She really liked it. She couldn't keep her nose away.


I decided to put more powdered sugar on, and I really had fun with that. Sprinkling powdered sugar on dessert is extremely rewarding. Macy helped.


Here's a closeup:


Thing I'm thankful for: My mom teaching me all (or most) of the ins and outs of baking. The author of the book (Luscious Chocolate Desserts) said it is "easy to make." I disagree. I think it's easy to make if you already know your way around the kitchen, which fortunately, is something my mom taught me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home