Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I Guess I Should've Been Alive In the 50's. . .

. . . Because I have the traditional family values found then. Sure, I understand that there are exceptional circumstances that create so-called non-traditional households. But overall, I'm tired of people justifying non-traditional ways just because it's what's more popular or common now.

I'm referring to this article I read on MSN Lifestyle -- "The Changing American Family." At first I was pretty interested because I love reading statistics, but by the end of the article, I realized that the author is not just giving us statistics. He is not lamenting the fact that less than 25% of American households are made up of a mother and father and children; he is lamenting the plight of the non-traditional family, which is, he says, that they are discriminated against in housing, employment, adoption, insurance, etc. In the last paragraph, he quotes a non-traditional parent: "It really doesn't matter what kind of relationship the parents are in -- what matters is the love they have for their child. That is what makes a family."

I realize that what I'm about to say is extremely conservative for the 21st century, and I know that people will think I'm ignorant. But I will say it anyway! It's very important that a child be loved, but the best kind of love is to bring the child into the world with a mother and a father if possible. If it's not possible, I don't think it should be done. A family is a mom, a dad, and kids. There are some circumstances that alter this somewhat -- like divorce in extreme cases and death of a spouse or both parents. I'm tired of people justifying their lifestyles by saying, "This is what makes a family because it's more popular now." Why do the laws involved in this particular issue have to change? Shouldn't the people be changing for the laws? (I realize that laws sometimes need to be changed, but in this case, I don't think they need to be.) And look at that, I just did it again. I stuck a parenthetical aside in here because I feel I have to justify my opinion to the liberal American public.

I guess that's a major part of this post. I'm tired of having to bury my opinions for the sake of self-preservation. It's just not kosher these days to proclaim a conservative view without being intellectually shunned -- especially when it comes to marriage and family. When I tell someone I changed my major from pre-med to English, I have to go into this big long talk about why. I can't just say, "Well, I want to be a stay-at-home mom, and you can't do that and be a doctor, can you?" Again, I'm not saying that all women should be stay-at-home moms, but I am asking why I sometimes get quizzical looks when I tell people that's what I want to do. Just when did America change so much?

Anyway. I'm sure plenty of you readers will have much to say on the topic -- maybe much derision for me. But I can take it. :)

Thing I'm thankful for today: My nieces. Again. Will I really love my own future children more??? :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Sara,
You've just nailed the essence of blogging. "I'm tired of having to bury my opinions for the sake of self-preservation." Brilliant. Very well written and I agree whole heartily. What’s the best way to be a parent? Love your spouse first. Not that I’m a good parent but I was fortunate to have two great ones.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Calais Pedro Family said...

I'm Maria from Calais Pedro World. Thanks for your comment on our blog. I've checked yours and I loved it. I guess we share lots of movies, books and interests. I have to see Just Like Heaven. Good luck in the Big Apple!

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's easy to see why you feel this way--you have such an incredible family you want the entire world to share what you have. and i don't blame you, i'd give anything to have what you have. but you need to understand that people generally don't choose to be single parents. girls get pregnant and ditched every single day and, as you allowed, sometimes a divorce is necessary or, in my case, a parent dies. but in the situation you didn't allow for, when a woman decides to have a baby on her own, i think she deserves all the encouragement this world can muster to make herself that child's family. when there's no other choice in a situation, what other option would you give them?
it's kelly by the way.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home