Friday, July 29, 2005

12, 10, and ...8?

Okay, okay. I know I haven't blogged in a while, but a storm's a brewin'. I've got several posts (with pictures!) coming up. So check back in a few days.

At the moment, though, I'd like to share some good news with you. I went to the Gap yesterday to take part in the jeans sale (Yay for jeans!), and was trying on some 10's. To my surprise, they were a little loose. Now, I must mention here that I usually wear a 12, but a few weeks ago, I thought, "This is ridiculous! Why do I always get clothes too big?" My whole family suffers from "baggy clothes syndrome." That's what I like to call it, anyway. It started when we were very young. Our parents would always buy big clothes so that we could "grow into them." It does make sense if you want to save money, especially when there are six children within a nine-year stretch. But we all grew up buying clothes and thinking, "Okay. I've got to get this in a larger size so that I can grow into it." HELLO! If we're still growing at age 23, there's a problem. But the problem is, is that we're all stuck with this "buy bigger" mentality, and I think we all realized this a couple of years ago. So all of us are trying to buy clothes THAT FIT.

With that said, I'll go back to the Gap. I decided to try 10's, and when they were too big, I thought it was a fluke pair. So I asked the saleswoman (who looked very much like Marcia Gay Harden, by the way) to get me another 10 because I thought they mislabeled it or something. She said, "Do you just want me to get you an 8?" WHAT? No way! That's too small! Too small! But I replied with a shrug, "Okay, why not?" She brought the 8's. I put them on. They fit! THEY FIT! It was a very exciting moment for me. I thought they looked good, she thought they looked good. . . I definitely had to buy them. I felt like they were too fitted, but I had to remember my goal: Stop buying clothes you will grow into. So I bought them and immediately called my sister-in-law, who is a pro at buying clothes that fit. She said she was proud of me, and I have to say, I was too.

Anyway, that's my fun July 28th story. I hope you liked it, and if you tend to buy clothes that are too big, I hope you learned something from it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Fitted shirt by Spoon is one of the greatest songs. And it's true, fitted clothes are the "new baggy."

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home