Monday, February 18, 2013

I Coulda Been a Contender, Part 2

In Pride and Prejudice, the self-righteous Lady Catherine de Bourgh publicly insults Elizabeth Bennet's piano-playing and then immediately brags about her own non-existent musical skills.  Here, see?
You will never play really well, Miss Bennet, unless you practice more . . .  There are few people in England, I suppose, who have more true enjoyment in music than myself -- or a better taste -- and if I had ever learned, I should be a true proficient.  (Watch it: Rosings, 2:45-3:25)
It's quite humorous, really -- Lady Catherine de Bourgh's ridiculous amount of conceit.  Yet, were it not for her insult toward Elizabeth in the first part of her pretty speech, I might say there was nothing wrong in what she said.  What I mean to say is . . .  Have you ever thought you'd be good at something, if you had ever tried it?  Like you know deep down in your bones that you could have been a great dancer or cowboy or doctor or athlete?  Well, there are a few things that I think I could have been great at, and they are these:
Readers, what do you think you'd be great at?


Thing I'm thankful for: salmon burgers with cole slaw

3 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

Hahahahaha hahahaha!
I'm still trying to figure that one out!
You know me, jill of all trades master of one, sewing

6:37 AM  
Anonymous Lori B. said...

Don't forget archery :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Haha -- yes, Lori -- archery! Although because I've taken a class, I'm pretty I know without a doubt that I'd be great! :)

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home