Friday, February 22, 2013

High Noon


On the drive home to Georgia for the holidays, my parents and I talked about movies.  I asked them what their favorites were, and my dad mentioned High Noon.  "Oh, that is a good one," my mom chimed, "How did the song go?"  And they started singing it:
Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin'
On this, our weddin' day.
Do not forsake me, oh, my darlin.'
Wait, wait along.*
It was such a wonderful scene -- listening to my parents share a memory.  I wrote the name of the movie on a scrap piece of paper in my purse, so I would remember to watch it later.

Almost two months have gone by since then, but tonight, I was finally able to watch it -- and on a big screen at that!  My friend Rachel told me about the UT film series in which some of the UT film professors show, and then discuss, their favorite movies.  And what a treat it was!  What an entertaining and intellectual treat!  I can't remember the last time I had such a good time watching a movie.  And it really is one of the best movies I've ever seen.  It's a western, but it sort of subverts the genre a bit, so you can approach it from all kinds of critical angles -- new historicism, feminism, aestheticism.  I myself read it as a commentary on gender relations.  I don't want to give too much away (because you really should watch it), so I'll just say that I think the relationship between Gary Cooper's and Grace Kelly's characters by the end of the movie is really how a marriage ought to be.  The last ten minutes say it all, really.

Gosh, it was just so good.  Watch it, watch it, watch it!  And then let's talk about it!

*Listen to part of the song: High Noon Intro.  It may seem like a silly song, but I assure you, it had perhaps the greatest impact on movie music history than any other song.  After "High Noon" was released in theaters, audiences wanted the music.  Millions of records were sold, and several covers were created.  Movie studios saw a profit, and it was then that they began putting more resources into the music of the movies.


Thing I'm thankful for: smart movies

4 Comments:

Anonymous Blake said...

Coincidentally, Lindsey and I just watched this last month. We've been on a big western kick. My favorite so far is the Dollar Trilogy, with Good, Bad, and Ugly the best of the three (but all really good).

11:32 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

I think it goes wait, wait alone.
We talked about it last night. Good comments. Glad you saw it!

11:42 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, thanks, Blake! I'll have to watch those! Have you seen "Rio Bravo?" I've heard that's a good one, too.

And momma -- you're wrong. It's "wait along." It makes sense that it would be, too. He's telling his new wife that he needs her to wait. Wait along for him to kill Frank Miller. The whole point of the movie -- to me -- is that a husband and wife shouldn't be alone.

3:18 PM  
Blogger dallin+michelle said...

yet another Louis family favorite!!! pure classic..... one of the best westerns by far. nice pick mama and papa snow!!!

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home