Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Usability of a Tithing Slip

Mormons pay tithing.  The protocol goes like this:  Fill out a slip of paper, stick the white copy in a gray envelope along with a check or cash, and give it to one of three ecclesiastical leaders.  But this post isn't a lesson on tithing or ecclesiastical leaders; it's about the usability of tithing slips over the years.

When I was a child, the tithing slip was oriented horizontally, like so:


Sometime in the 2000's, I think, The Church changed it to a vertical orientation.  Though I did not know what "usability" meant at the time, I remember feeling extremely excited about the new format.  I mean, who could argue that the new tithing slip was worlds better than the old one?  I defy anyone who would!  In my mind, there was only one thing that needed updating, and that was the address line.  I have an uncanny ability to write in extremely small letters, but even I have a difficult time squeezing my address into such a short field.  I've been waiting for The Church to change that for years!

And so they have.  A new tithing era is upon us.  (The old slip is on the left; the new one is on the right.)


See?  Isn't it great?  No more address line!  (Unfortunately, I'm not sure what my membership record number is, and now I guess I have to memorize it.  :/  [Goodness, the Digital Age has spoiled me!]  It's a vast improvement, though.)

One thing I don't like is that so many of the options were collapsed into one broad category called "Other."  Sometimes I don't know exactly where I want my money to go.  I even used to be unaware of the available options.  Seeing everything in a long list, then, is quite helpful.  What I'd like to recommend to Church leaders is that they increase the size of the paper just a bit.  It's relatively small, in case you can't tell.  I don't know the dimensions offhand, but it's a little shorter than a dollar bill and a little wider, too.  If it was just an inch longer, we'd be able to fit everything on there just splendidly.  Hm.

Finally, I love that the yellow receipt paper underneath the white copy is still described as "canary."  If that ever changes, I'll feel a twinge of nostalgia.  

What do you think, readers?


Thing I'm thankful for: a church that is generally up on usability trends

4 Comments:

Blogger Melissa said...

Ha...I had to find 6 membership numbers and finally write them down and keep the piece of paper in my wallet cause I can't remember them all. I think the new system is better especially with people moving and changing so often this hooks their tithing to them no matter what but still...it is a little annoying when you have a lot of people paying :)

3:02 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

Sorry, is this the post you wanted the picture for? Fell down on the job, but will get it to you pronto. Love YOUR Studies! You are so exceptionally aware! Love MOMMA

10:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One place I always look to when in need of my membership number is my Temple Recommend. It's to be on us at all times; so, if you have it, use it! (: Thanks for the awesome blog!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh! Great idea, Emaluisa! Thanks!

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home