Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Postcards from the 20s

Last week, I went to an antique shop with a friend.  This place was huge!  I found some great old-looking mirrors and buffet tables that were completely out of my budget, so instead of buying those, I settled on an old Betty Crocker cookbook from 1983,* a Japanese hand fan because I've always wanted one, and these incredible postcards from the 1910s and 20s:


Oh!  Actually, I only bought one of the postcards, but took a picture of the rest.  I guess that's probably not totally honest, but they were five dollars each!  So I settled on buying only the one on the bottom left, which says, "Is the left one right, or is the right one left?"  I thought that pretty much sums up contemporary singlehood in a clever way, so I paid the $5 and intend on pinning the card to the bulletin board above my desk.

The card on the top left says something about an apology, which I can't remember now . . .  The point, though, is that that's what an apology postcard looked like in the 20s . . .  The others are pretty self-explanatory, but I thought I'd highlight this one for you:


Can you read the caption?  It says, "A Pipe Dream."  A pipe dream!!!  Ha!  And there you have it, folks: proof that early 20th-century Americans were good with both literal and figurative humor.  :)


*That's right; I collect old cookbooks, particularly the Betty Crocker kind.  Of the Big Red variety.  The cooks and bakers out there know how incredible those recipes from the 70s and 80s are.  It's probably because we didn't have so much information about high cholesterol and trans-fats and high-fructose corn syrup.  I'm okay with that.


Thing I'm thankful for: summer days by the pool

3 Comments:

Blogger Lyndel said...

I love those old postcards. My mum and I went to Scott Antiques market this past weekend and she took a bunch home... .50 cent each! Try a big market next time for more funny cards :)

Miss you fabulous friend!

1:19 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

Love the old cookbooks...so fun to read other people's notes/changes on the sides! This reminds me I was going to email you about gma snow's recipe books...

5:06 PM  
Blogger Amanda Leigh said...

I love this!! Those postcards are amazing! And I also am grateful for summer days by the pool--it was lovely to see you today!

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home