Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I Love to See the Temple


I knew moving would be hard, but I didn't expect it to be as hard as it has been. It seems like everyone in the world likes Austin, but honestly, I am having a difficult time finding the fun. I know I haven't been here long, but so far, I've felt awkward, out-of-place, and uncomfortable. I get lost nearly every time I leave my apartment, and I haven't had much time to organize my stuff yet. I've cried a lot and doubted whether I made a good decision to come here.

Things changed just a bit on Thursday, when I went to an Institute class. There are several classes offered at UT, and for various reasons, the family history course stood out to me. As I sat in the small classroom with eight other students, I had a moment of peace. It was nice to be surrounded by familiar things: blue carpet, cream walls, missionaries, scriptures, hymnbooks. I listened to the lesson intently, and something that was said touched my spirit. It was a quote from John A. Widtsoe: "[...] the things that make our days dark and dreary will be lifted from us if we go to the House of the Lord to perform holy work therein."

And so I sent a text to my mom after class, asking if she'd meet me at the San Antonio Temple on Saturday. We completed an endowment session and sat for a while in a quiet room of the temple. I didn't have any grand revelations while I was there, and in fact, I cried my eyes out later to my mom over dinner at Olive Garden. But Elder Widtsoe was right; things that made my days dark and dreary last week were temporarily lifted. Since then, those things have even gotten better. Perhaps it's just from the passing of time, or perhaps it's because my mom comforted me in a time of need. And perhaps it is because I performed holy work in the temple.

There are four temples in Texas: Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, and Lubbock. I plan to see all of them before my two years of grad school is up. What a treat to be near so many temples. :)

Here are a couple more pictures of the San Antonio Temple:








Thing I'm thankful for: maps

5 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

the windows are so pretty! glad you sought comfort, Sara :)

7:00 AM  
Blogger jackie said...

Sara! I'm sorry you're having a hard time. You are great and everything will turn out fine. also, you are missed here, but I think you knew that already.

8:59 AM  
Blogger cardlady said...

People I am thankful for: Sara Snow
You had the right idea and I am glad you shared Brother Widstoe's comments. It is indeed true.
We can have all the meetings at the temple and then Olive Garden(comfort food) you want. I know you are also thankful for GARMIN which I knew you and DAD needed! Thanks Sara, for being such a great daughter! I love you Big Much! MOM

1:00 PM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

It is so hard to leave everything that you know and the people you love to go somewhere new but you are so right that it brings so much comfort to not only go to his church where things are so familiar and warm but to go to the House of the Lord and feel his love for you. Thank you for the post.

5:45 PM  
Blogger individually wrapped slices said...

I think that being awkward, uncomfortable and out of place makes me quirky. And quirky girls do well in movies.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home