Thursday, August 02, 2007

Change Breaks the Silence


After a long hiatus (Hey, 2 months is like a lifetime in the blogging world . . .), I feel it’s time to come back to Busy Nothings. I never intended to stay away so long, but . . . What can I say? I just didn’t make time to sit down and write. I got behind schedule because of all the digital photos I have to re-size and then upload, work has been especially stressful, and I’ve been trying to finish the 7th Harry Potter book and about 3 other books as well. Among other things . . .

What has brought me out of my blogging slump? A little corner of my soul is dying, that’s what. Well, not really, but sometimes it feels like it. Today I went home for lunch, and I saw Lauren and her mother and brother, moving the last of her things out of the apartment. After one year, my first roommate and I are parting ways for who knows how long – because she needs to live closer to Georgia State, and I can’t live that far south.

After giving Lauren 3 hugs and a check, I drove back to work. It might’ve been the fact that I was going back to work, or it might’ve been that I was leaving my friend and confidante . . . (I think it was the latter.) . . . but as I was driving, I had this overwhelming sense of sadness and loss and regret. I felt like I haven’t been the roommate I wanted to be this past year. Lauren and I have had some really, really fun good times, but there are some things I didn’t say or do that I should have.

And so . . . Lauren: I really, really like you. You’re one of my favorites. I’m sorry I wasn’t at home a lot this year, but I think you know I partly needed to learn to socialize. I spent about 24 years of my life being pretty reserved. Regardless, I should’ve had Roommate Home Evening with you more often. I’ll tell you what, though – those Wednesdays of watching “Project Runway” were some of my favorites. I also liked the late-night movie-watching, followed by my mock ballet and gymnastics. It’s fun to make you laugh. : )

I like jumping on your bed and talking with you about boys. I like going to concerts with you and trying new restaurants with you. I like that I feel comfortable enough around you to stop talking in the middle of a conversation and say, “Pause! I really have to go to the bathroom!” (I really do feel that a friendship truly reaches it’s maximum level when you can understand and are comfortable with each other’s bowel movements . . . But that’s another post entirely.)

I love, love, love you, Lauren. Lookout Le Femme. Duff Stuff. Duffster. MACDUFF.


Thing I’m thankful for: Lauren Duffey.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

Sara, this is the sweetest post ever. I keep coming back to read it.

Me. You. Singles. My house.

I love, love, love you, too, Sara.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Sweet, huh? I mentioned bowel movements in there somewhere, in case you missed it. ;)

Thanks, though. I plan on watching that movie over at your new place soon. I'll call you this week!

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home