Sunday, April 09, 2023

Be of Good Cheer

In church this morning, someone spoke about cheer. He quoted John 16:33: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." At that moment, it occurred to me that our sacrament meeting was a bit depressing. Several people talked about trials and tribulations, and the general tone of the service was somber and gloomy. The most positive parts were the hymns we sang as a congregation: He Is Risen! and Christ the Lord Is Risen Today.

I came home thinking that Latter-day Saints could really use some of the energy of old Southern churches. I came home thinking that we should've been more cheerful. I should be more cheerful. I think it's natural to focus on the hardships of life, and sometimes it feels impossible to forget them. But today of all days should be one of glorious celebration. After all, I do cherish the belief that I am made clean through Christ, that I will be resurrected someday, and that I will see my dad again. What a wonder! What a gift!

Happy Easter, everyone!


Thing I'm thankful for: a beautifully balmy day

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home