Monday, March 25, 2019

#livingmytruth

Ughhhh. I'm so over people talking about how they're "living their truth." Pardon my French, but what the hell does that mean?

I understand what it's supposed to mean––that you accept yourself. That you don't live up to others' expectations and definitions of you. That you live loud and proud, as one HuffPost contributor puts it. (Never mind that this contributor is a "modern day mystic." Barf.)

Is this real life?

The only time that "living your truth" can even be remotely okay is if we're all on the same page about the Golden Rule; otherwise, all bets are off. What if a white supremacist said, "I'm just living my truth?" What if a bigamist said he was just living his truth? What if the president of the United States said his truth was to keep immigrants out of the country? Too extreme? Okay, I'll tone it down a bit. Imagine a mother spending hours and hours working out and achieving the body that she wants, only to neglect her children because she puts so much effort into herself. Imagine a couple who wants to "live their best life" in a huge house they can't afford. Or someone who focuses almost solely on herself because she's spent the last year fighting health problem after health problem and "doesn't have the energy for anyone else." (That's me, by the way.)

I get it, I get it––the point is to be honest about who you are with yourself and with the world. But c'mon––it's really just an excuse to be selfish. And again, it's based on some illogical assumption that people everywhere know what "good" means. If you want to be honest with yourself and with the world, then be honest. Just don't call it what it ain't: truth. (And especially not "Truth" 'cause then we have a serious problem.)


Thing I'm thankful for: massages

1 Comments:

Blogger cardlady said...

AINT THAT THE TRUTH!

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home