Tuesday, August 02, 2016

Doing Happy Things


I don't want to get into the details here, except to say that I've had to work really hard at being happy and engaged with life lately. Mostly, I feel like I'm not doing a very good job of it, but in the last few weeks, one thing in particular has helped: rowing. That's right; I've picked up rowing again. It's so nice to be on a boat in the water.* I had forgotten how rowing made me feel. I had forgotten that it makes me feel strong and confident and focused on nothing but the rhythm of my oars.

I had forgotten that doing things that make us happy . . . Make us happy. Or at least suspend sadness for a little while. I think that as we get older, we forget what makes us happy. Or we remember, but we overlook those things because we have boring-but-necessary adult things to do. And I think what we don't realize––what I didn't realize––was that by making happy activities a priority, we fill our souls with lightness, so that we are better able to handle the boring-but-necessary adult things. The stressful things. The scary things and the sad things.

Once I remembered that rowing makes me happy, I remembered other things that make me happy:

  • Being outside
  • Being near a body of water
  • Baking
  • Spending time with family, especially my nieces and nephews
  • Making people laugh
  • Having conversations with David
  • Eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
  • Taking evening walks
  • Going to concerts
  • Appreciating art

My challenge to you, dear readers, is to remember what makes you happy and spend some time doing those things!


*The Great Salt Lake, to be exact.



Thing I'm thankful for: finding my Nalgene water bottle

2 Comments:

Blogger John Marriott said...

One of my great friends and mentors during the middle years of my life told Velma and me that you had to plan your fun, you couldn't just wait and see what or when it happens. Fun must be as deliberate and scheduled as any of the other important activities in life, otherwise it won't happen, at least not on the scale and frequency it deserves. It's much too easy to do all the things in life we consider essential and non-negotiable, and then let our fun, the things that make us happy as you say, just fit in the empty spaces on our calendar. Glad you've discovered that recipe, too. Row on!

7:17 PM  
Blogger cardlady said...

HAPPY, HAPPY HAPPINESS! I'LL DO IT. GOOD POST, GOOD ADVICE!

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home