Sunday, October 26, 2014

Happy Birthday to Me!

In case you didn't know, it's my birthday. I'm 33.

When I started this blog, I was 23. Looking back at some of the early posts is fascinating. I think I was lighthearted, funnier, and definitely more succinct then. I posted a lot more pictures, and I was specific in my "Thing I'm thankful for" segment.

Oh, how time has changed me. I think what everyone thinks when they reflect on the past: I never imagined I'd be where I am or who I am. I never imagined I'd be living in California and working in Silicon Valley. People think that's neat, and I guess it is, but it's . . . different. What did I expect? I certainly expected to be married at this point, and I certainly expected to have a few children. I expected to be a full-time mom and a part-time editor, working at night after the kids had gone to bed. Beyond that, I had no expectations.

This year has been really hard for me. I've written a thesis, moved four times, been rejected from a number of companies, experienced two failed dating relationships, gotten in loads of arguments with my parents, and went further into debt. (Thank you, new car!) It's arguably been the worst year of my life.

And yet. My faith in God is at an all-time high. My understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ has been strengthened, and I am capable of more love and more forgiveness and more empathy than I ever thought possible. When I think about the black-and-white approach to life I had as a kid, I have to chuckle to myself -- that girl really needed to go! Now, there is a softness to my thoughts and a complexity of feeling that hasn't just come with time, but with the experience of hard things, and I expect that to be more true in another ten years.

I don't think I'm a better person now than I would have been if my expectations had been met, and in writing all of this, I'm not pretending that my life was always meant to turn out this way or that everything happens for the best. I do think, though, that I'm a much more interesting person now than I would have been, and I'd bet a million bucks that I have a much better perspective on agency and atonement than I would have had. Is that worth it? Are those things worth the unmet expectations? I don't know. But I hope so.

Here's something else: My expectations have changed. Rather, my dreams have changed. Sure, I want to be married, and I want to have a bunch of kids running around making noise and fighting with each other and coloring on walls and making messes in the kitchen. But I also want to open a bakery. And I want to write a book. And I want to have a podcast in which I interview people with ordinary lives. I want to continue blogging for another ten years, I want to learn German, and I want to taste Swiss chocolate in Switzerland.

If, at 43, I've blogged about those things, I'll be happy. If not, I'm sure I'll at least be more interesting.


Thing I'm thankful for: Marcia and Brook

12 Comments:

Blogger Aubrey said...

You're perfect.
Happiest Happy Birthday.
I wish I could be there to eat something amazing you've baked. Because who am I kidding - you want to open a bakery and I bought a $1 box of Vanilla cake last night.
Hope your day is splendid.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Cecilia said...

Sara, I don't always get to comment, but I love your writing. I love your thoughts and how experience, no matter if they follow "the plan" or not, can shape you, help you grow stronger, and build your testimony. Your perspective is beautiful and I am so excited to see where your journey is taking you next. Lots of love coming from North Carolina!

8:24 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I've always loved your candor.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Arbed Nnud said...

I for one am glad you are in California!

4:41 PM  
Blogger mlh said...

Yes. Isn't it funny that as you get older you're getting better? You are a remarkable individual who has always inspired me to love deeper and think better. The best, as the rabbi says, is yet to be.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Thanks, everyone. :) Thanks, especially, to mlh. You brought a tear to my eye. :)

And Tim . . . Thanks, I guess? Ha. :)

7:22 PM  
Blogger Krystal Nielson said...

I have read your excellent post. This is a great job. I have enjoyed reading your post first time. I want to say thanks for this post. Thank you.
car removal caboolture
enviro scrap metal caboolture

10:17 PM  
Blogger Car Removals NSW said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work
Car Removal Wollongong

11:14 PM  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Great post and very informative post. At Hashtag Car Removal, you will get fast and easy cash for cars service. We are a reliable company all over Sydney NSW that pays up to $7,999 for any scrap, junk, or unwanted cars. Our expert team will remove your 4×4, ute, SUV, vans, or trucks the very same day for FREE. car buyer in sydney

8:36 AM  
Blogger Best Cash For Carz said...

Hello! I found your website on google and found it very useful and informative for our business and I also shared your website with my other friends also. Best Cash For Carz is a locally owned cash for cars business in Melbourne, VIC. We started this business with an aim to provide customers with a quick and efficient way to sell their vehicles without leaving their homes. We have over a decade of experience in Melbourne’s automobile market and have hired industry experts to help us along the way. We purchase a variety of junk and scrap car buyer melbourne in Australia and pay market competitive prices for them and remove it from your premises for FREE.

9:05 AM  
Blogger North Coast Wreckers said...

Such a great information for blogger I am a professional blogger thanks. North Coast Wreckers provide the best used or new car parts at an affordable price. Whether you are looking for an auto part for your engine. Townsville Wreckers is an auto part recycler operating all over Townsville offering pickup and drop off services of all the auto parts.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Local Cash For Cars said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. There’s nothing better than a free service – except when you add to the equation a top-dollar payment up to $9,999! We buy cars. We resell or recycle them. There is no third person involve that means you get the best value. In fact, better value as compare to a dealer or wrecker.Get top cash for your old or junk car, Local Cash For Cars Sunshine Coast is the best and safest place to sell your unwanted car. Call Us Now 0483 333 000

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home